Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheaper Option

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
There are 2 ways you could go.Could go a 308/stroker option or go EFI V8 with a single turbo or twin turbo.As for a hill climb car that wont be registered i would get a VN to VS V6 as it would be your cheapest option.Then just rip out the entire driveline.Rebuild the borgy with 3.9's or 4.11s and a spool or locker centre.As for the gearbox could either run a turbo400 with a full manual setup or go a manual t5 or top loader or even a t56 6 speed.All depends on what your happy with.

As for the motor is you want to go a carby V8,i would just either build a 308 or go a 304 with a harrop style intake or a torque power highrise dual plane manifold with atleast a 2 inch spacer and a 650 to 750dp holley demon,as for comp keep it up around 10.1 or higher run a good quality cam such as camtech or compcams etc,would go a solid cam as its not driven all the time,which will give you time to reset the rocker clearances.Also help with a much snappier throttle response.Zero deck block and deburr,run an engine oil cooler.Big radiator.The usual stuff.

A friend of mine has a LJ 2 dr with a 355stroker 304VR block (stroker block).VN heads that have had some work done to them,dual plane torque power high rise manifold with a 1 inch spacer,run a solid cam from camtech rev range 3000 to 7000rpm,runs 4.11s and a muncie 4spd and its quiet a quick car and would be a very good hillclimb car as its been setup very well.But doesnt get driven much.

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
to be more competetive in a commmodore v8 i'd be running a first gen seeing as they're lighter.
I used to do hill climbs in LJ torana's and then i ran my old LX and found i was less competetive in the LX being heavier... (bad turning circle compared to LJ's too)
You'll need to get alot of weight out of the car to make use of the 5.0L carby fed or 308 carby fed. Corner weight racing scales will also be a very useful tool for you to re-arrange everything you can in the car to improve the weight distribution.
A VS has got to be a couple of hundred kg heavier than a first gen commodore. You could reduce weight even more by getting a C.O.M.E all alloy 308 replica (they weigh the same as an old holden 6) you should then be able to reduce weight more by getting a off road use only light weight k-frame, ( i found a company earlier this year that make one for $800 but for the life of me can't remember where i wrote the details down)
But if you're set on using a VS then as above, you'll need to not only swiss cheese everything you can to reduce weight but you'll probably have to get exotic with lightweight parts to be competetive.

Hmmm front end comparison in weight would be even less with an Alloy head 2nd or All alloy 3rd Gen motor.

And rubber. You need lots of rubber with a good suspension set up. Imo I found the VR/S to be too light in the rear end for hill climbs. Best V8 hill climb car i've owned would've be my 351 XD. Very good for a large car in the corners because of the weight distribution. And that was using leaf-rear Lol

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
Dont know how much a COME engine costs, thats why I said I would have a look. Never heard of them until night.
Most of the 2nd hand 308's I have seen are a couple of grand ... if COME is way over this then I will stick with the 2nd hand.

... I might even just stick with the Commodore Cup spec and run a 253

If your thinking about a 253,wouldnt be a bad setup.But i would stick with a VB to VL car as they are light,you can build a good 330 to 370hp 253 with the right work and parts,match it up to a 4spd manual muncie or even a well built T5.Check out on aussiev8 forum there is a guy on there who has built a 370hp 253.

Schuey97

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS Holden Commodore Executive
KRUPTD - So if I got the VS V6 and ripped out the driveline to accomodate a V8 engine, would the price overall still be cheaper than just purchasing the VS V8 and leaving the driveline in place?
Was looking around at the VC's as it was my first Commodore and would not mind racing in one. Just hard to find at the moment, more VS Commodores out there

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
I just had a look at the COME website.

They do a all alloy Holden block 427 that put out 560hp@5750rpm

All yours for $30,000.