Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cheapest way to get a spare key

mangzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubsport
Hey guys, I was just wondering what is the cheapest way to go about getting a spare key? I tried doing some research and there are that many different topics to cover all to do with black keys and red keys and all this other stuff. Then i read that you can get the key heads and make "duplicate" instead of another whole key or something.

Can someone please just give me a rundown on the cheapest way to get a spare key?

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Lock smith is the cheapest way to get a spare.

mangzilla

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Clubsport
do they do the actual key head as well? or do they just make the key and you get your own key head and screw it in and program it?

cunno

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais
they should get the key head too. call and ask?

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
There are three main ways to get a spare key. I went through this excersise about a year ago.

1. Holden dealers will supply you with a complete key, programmed and cut, ready to go. Costs around $250 plus.

2. Mr. Minute and other key places sell the key heads for around $150, priogrammed. I think they will cut a new key blade for around $30 or so.

3. Buy the key head on ebay - costs vary, but hover around the $60 to $90 mark. Some of the sales include programming, others charge extra. This is for the key head only. You can use your old blade (if the key head has stopped working) or get a new one cut from Mr. Minute or some such.

I found 3. (ebay) to be the cheapest for my needs. But you should do your own costing before you decide.

Cheers,

JG

bloomers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
So if you have an unprogrammed head then Mr. Minute can programme it? Also to do the programming would you just need to supply the vehicle VIN?

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
i think i went to an unknown random key cutter dude (not a chain like Mr. Minit) and it cost me $80 ready to go and i thought i got ripped!

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
So if you have an unprogrammed head then Mr. Minute can programme it? Also to do the programming would you just need to supply the vehicle VIN?

I think Mr Minute (and others like them) only program keys they supply. But you can ask them (I suggest before you buy the key head).

i think i went to an unknown random key cutter dude (not a chain like Mr. Minit) and it cost me $80 ready to go and i thought i got ripped!

I am sure some places will do it cheaper. Only way to find out is to ask around. When I did it, I could not find any place cheaper, so I did it the ebay way.
But instead of getting new blades cut, I simply put the old blades into the new heads (the old head buttons were completely gone, and water got into the keys).

JG

NV-MY-VT

Sleeper Builder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000 Olympic Edition
Ah yes. Broken head buttons. I just filled mine with silicon.

Works a charm...

browny08

Reaction score
Members Ride
99vt wagon
help dudes ,,vt wagon series2 same prob have blade,, no head bit.. and car wont crank ,,immobiizer flashing ,,tried the 40 minute thing no good,,need the elecric bit have donor car but its a series 1,,