Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Engine Alert

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Posting here too as I know there are a lot more VZ drivers than VE drivers and for the most part, the engines are the same...

OK... Picked up the VE Calais today after putting a 2.25 inch exhaust, pacemaker headers and highflow cats. 20min down the road the "check engine" warning came on.

I know it's nothing to worry about but rang the guy from the exhaust shop just to make sure. He reckson get Holden to plug in the Tech 2 and reset the computer and she'll be right... Something with the O2 sensor? Extra flow and plus I have an SS Growler CAI installed.

Is it really going to be that simple to fix?

Cheers guys!

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Yep, get Holden to plug the Tech 2 in, and they should be able to fix it easily. :) The guy did the job properly, right?

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Holden will try to slug you for the cost and maybe even O2 sensors if any of them are faulty (shouldn't be) because they won't cover aftermarket mods.

But yes they just need to reset it.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Thanks for the advice guys.

It seems disconnecting the battery solves the problem for a couple of days but then it comes back. I would prefer Holden didn't touch it. I hate Holden messing around with my car. Unfortunately there's only two dealers in Canberra and both seem as useless as each other!

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
i had the same issue and same mods, had a hole in the side of my o2 sensor that wasnt supposed to be there, the rear left one. - check out my ride for a pic.

- could be from welding the threaded collar for the o2 sensor into the exhaust tube, if they screwed the sensor in the collar then welded it into the tube, it could have arc'd out across the sensor or the heat from the weld could have damaged the sensor.

just jack up the car and a 22mm spanner will remove the o2 sensor, check all 4 (or 6) and make sure all the little holes in the end are clear, even give them a little shake, if they rattle the ceramic filament in it is broken and need replacing.

when i took mine to holden, the first dealer blamed the pacemakers, the second dealer blamed the hi-flow cats, but i new it was one of the rear o2 sensors, was hoping to have it done under warranty

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
haha too true. canberra holden dealers suck balls.

hows it sound? it sounded pretty sweet when i heard it at belco one night. did you only have the cat back done at that stage?

Not even dude! All I had at that stage was the rear flange (just behind the rear axle) back to tips done. Took off the rear mufflers and replaced them with straight through 3inch pipe to the quad tips.