Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

check engine on v8 5.7

tapmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute
Hi I own a 2003 vy ss Ute manual with 120 000 kms on the clock I keep gettin the check engine light every now and then under heavy acceleration I've only had the car for a month I've only run it on premium petrol but the guy I bought it off ran it on e10 any help would be appreciated thanks I've changed the fuel filter spark plug leads and run 2 lots of injector cleaner with 2 full tanks

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
get it checked by your local mechanic, it should have thrown a code

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The LS1 throws O2 sensor errors fairly easily, but as said, get the codes read and see what it comes up with.

lemonaed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7
I experienced a similar problem when I filled up with Shell 100 Octane one time years ago, which consists of a blend of ethanol and petrol. I found, when sitting in traffic on a hot day with the A/C running I started to get this warning. Once I switched back to 95 or 98 octane I never had that warning again.

I reckon the 5.7L LS1 being an american engine is designed to run on petrol only, and only to an octane level of 98. Running a blended very high octane mix is the problem, in my opinion.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Could also be the oil pressure switch, that is a common problem with the 5.7L. Like others have said, check the codes and you will get a better idea of what the problem is.

cosmo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Unfortunately the check engine light can be anything from your motor through to the diff. If you go into a Holden dealer (service dept) & get them to put their little handheld computer on it, a code should come up to know what it is. They couldn't work out what was wrong with mine though :)

Scruba

Wanderer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Mine's doing the same atm only under acceleration (not even hard). Will have to get the scanner plugged in. Hoping and expecting either O2 sensors as I just had extractors fitted. See how we go.

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Just to let u know I'm in the same boat as u but my light stay on all time and I have roundabout same ks on clock.

Mines oil pressure switch faulty and gettin it replaced tomorow.

RMartin

SS Sic02
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU HOLDEN SS UTE
Yup... my check engine light come up ( 5.7 Gen III LS1 ) probably 2 - 3 weeks was thinking O2 sensor / sensors. Then my oil light would alarm so I'm thinking oil pressure switch as well. Long story short paid Holden $170 to run diagnostic only fault that showed up was my oil pressure switch needed replacing. nothing about the O2 sensors. Changed switch, engine lights still on gotta save some coin to take it back to Holden to re set pcm.