Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Check Oil" Alert Message

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
Another one of those "has this happened to you?" threads.

Hopped into the Commodore one afternoon, straight after turning the key got the "Check Oil" alert flashing up on the display with the accompanying musical tune. Even after I cleared the alert off, the little oil sign stayed on the display.

First thing that makes me curious is that it had a service not long ago. Next I check the oil - all ok there. I turn the car off, turn it on and no alert this time.

This has happened a couple of times when I've started. I quickly turn it off, back on again and it's fine. It hasn't happened again now for a couple of weeks.

Any ideas?

vtv6manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec
take the car to a dealership and it might need a sps which is basically a bcm software update

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Could also be a dicky oil pressure sender.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh was going to suggest the oil pressure switch, all so do they have a switch that if a certain grade of oil recomended by holden isn't used it can set the pressure switch or oil level switch off, might be completly wrong there, but i know of some jap cars and european cars having this, it lets you know if the oil is low, but if the wrong vescosity oil is used it will set it off, might be a 10/30 like recomended but the grade off oil might be wrong, i know we have this with the new civic typeR at honda (awesome car buy the way, little pocket rocket, like a smaller hatch version of the s2000 :D ) and i think mercs and bmw's might have this too now, just a thought, but like i said could be completely wrong

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The switch is basically an on/off switch, when the pressure isn't sufficient to keep it off, it turns on. A faulty switch wouldn't operate correctly. GMH wouldn't spend that kind of money needed to install sensors to measure the viscosity of the oil on a Commodore.

vtv6manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt exec
i had this happen to dads car the other day and all it was just a code loged in the ecu so they deleated it nd it fixed it