Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Powertrain Warning light

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
You need to investigate why the coils are showing a fault. Would be likely if cheap eBay coils were used. I’d be inclined to get some genuine ones from a wrecker.

Test the coil circuits for continuity at each end. That requires back probes which are like needles that get under the plug seals into the back of the pins.

Swap the coils to other places and see where the fault moves to.

“Coil-e” doesn’t sound like a factory code. It should be a letter followed by four numbers. What scan tool are you using?
So the coils are the ones that were in the car when I bought it. All been working for the last 2.5yrs.... I think they're just old.
It does come up with the code your saying... Is p03--something something. With the code it also comes up with text "coil E circuit failure/open" or something like that.
It's just a basic scan tool from tool pro I bought at Supercheap. I very much avoid using eBay parts due to past experience.
Will switch the could round and see what happens. I guess my main question was the warning light keeps turning itself on and off, and wasn't sure if it was in line with a faulty coil, or if there's something else that needs investigating.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Coil-e maybe referring to Coil 5,
Possibly? (As a stab in the dark)

Move coil 5 to 3, and 3 to 5,
Being they are easily accessible without removing the manifold.

Also check your spark plugs while you have the coils out.

But DONT swap the spark plugs..

The above is a process of elimination to locate the fault.

The other option,
Maybe go to a Supercheap store and ask them to scan it, that way you will find out what DTC it is.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would consider the coils as an unknown being that we don’t know its history.

It will be worth your while to get a better scan tool.

I’ve used a few but settled on the most use from the Vident i400au with Holden software loaded. It does a lot.

@krusing uses an Autel I think and he loves it.