Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Powertrain Warning light

Markoleary24

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore acclaim Vz auto MY06
Has anyone found the main problem for it as I just bought a commodore Vz auto yesterday and going to work after a hour that fault came on but I don’t want to have to spend another thousand if you need a new transmission if its bad

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
If you haven't already done so get the car scanned for fault codes. The "Check Powertrain" warning could be due to any number of reasons. You don't want to throw money at something that doesn't address the problem. For what it's worth once I had the "Check Powertrain" message come up. I had it scanned and it turned out to be a dodgy injector and a $200 fix. Hopefully yours is something minor but you won't be able to tell until you have had it scanned.

Megzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
A warning on the alert bar reading Check Powertrain came on about a K from home. I stopped to have a look but nothing obvious was wrong.
I have no idea what to check apart from engine fluids and seeing whether there are any leaks etc.
I've had a look at the obvious stuff but there's nothing in the handbook to give any direction.

Can anyone suggest any other actions I could take before I take it to my mechanic?
I've got a vz,had check power train on for few months,took to mechanics they chucked the machine on came up with injector and coil,got it fixed still had powertrain come up on dash,that was about 6 weeks ago got me brakes and rotors done too,well yesterday driving waiting at a round about,smoke pissing out me bonnet and a heap of oil spilled under me car at front passenger end,turns out it's me head gasket

Megzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz
I've got a vz,had check power train on for few months,took to mechanics they chucked the machine on came up with injector and coil,got it fixed still had powertrain come up on dash,that was about 6 weeks ago got me brakes and rotors done too,well yesterday driving waiting at a round about,smoke pissing out me bonnet and a heap of oil spilled under me car at front passenger end,turns out it's me head gasket
And also need new o ring in the oil filter housing,so maybe check all that

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Is the head gasket idea your take on the oil everywhere or the mechanics.
I doubt a head gasket would produce that much oil (but of course I have bin wong before)

I would be degreasing then looking further

An oil pressure switch could blow and they are prone to problems, and as already mentioned, maybe the O ring in the filter housing but doubtful,
as well as auto hoses (pink/red oil) and power steer hoses (pink/red oil again)

Time to buy a couple of cans of degreaser from Superthief, Ripco, Auto Barn etc
Do it when the engine is cold.
And don't saturate/blast the engine with the hose, simply a gentle spray

For codes/warnings I use a scanner I got from Aldi for $50, works for me.
Last I saw I think Ripco had one for $80.

FWIW the one time I let a mechanic scan my VZ he came up with left front wheel sensor, so I replaced the oil pressure switch and no more problem.:rolleyes:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That’s because a code doesn’t provide a shopping list. Bad mechanics do that. Fault codes provide data for a start point to investigate further.

The data that is outside parameters (logging the code) easily indicate the sensor is working correctly and doing the exact job it’s meant to do.

There is other extenuating factors causing the fault codes.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you had a blown head gasket, you’d have a Shinto load more issues than you are describing right now.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
What codes are being logged ?.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Just got mine running, but it's coming up with check powertrain. The thing is though, the warning keeps turning on and off every few seconds. Plugged the scanner in and it's showing coil 'e' being a problem. Would that be why the powertrain warning keeps turning on and off?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got mine running, but it's coming up with check powertrain. The thing is though, the warning keeps turning on and off every few seconds. Plugged the scanner in and it's showing coil 'e' being a problem. Would that be why the powertrain warning keeps turning on and off?
You need to investigate why the coils are showing a fault. Would be likely if cheap eBay coils were used. I’d be inclined to get some genuine ones from a wrecker.

Test the coil circuits for continuity at each end. That requires back probes which are like needles that get under the plug seals into the back of the pins.

Swap the coils to other places and see where the fault moves to.

“Coil-e” doesn’t sound like a factory code. It should be a letter followed by four numbers. What scan tool are you using?