Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Check Powertrain "

vz2822

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
Hi Guys

Last week i purchased an '05 VZ Berlina when i purchsed the car the check powertrain message was displaying on the dash. The dealer told me this was just the sensors ans is a common but easily fixed problem.

So off the car went to have the O2 sensors replaced , got it back and started it for the first time and once again the same message, had to leave the car there overnight for the problem to be fixed.

Went there to pick it up the next day, started and the screen said system check OK! All good you would think... about 15km later "check powertrain" flashes on the screen again.

Back to holdens we go, replaced the sensors yet again, same probelm, off to a different holden dealership to have the software updated and the "module" replaced. all good until about 5kms down the road... Same message "check powertrain".....

Does anyone know how to fix this problem for good? I would apreciate any feedback!

Thanks

gdunkley84

I Have a Dent.
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Sportswagon
Get them to check the wiring to the sensors, make sure they are not touching something hot where they shouldn't be.

Commy SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SV6 A5
Hi Guys

Last week i purchased an '05 VZ Berlina when i purchsed the car the check powertrain message was displaying on the dash. The dealer told me this was just the sensors ans is a common but easily fixed problem.

So off the car went to have the O2 sensors replaced , got it back and started it for the first time and once again the same message, had to leave the car there overnight for the problem to be fixed.

Went there to pick it up the next day, started and the screen said system check OK! All good you would think... about 15km later "check powertrain" flashes on the screen again.

Back to holdens we go, replaced the sensors yet again, same probelm, off to a different holden dealership to have the software updated and the "module" replaced. all good until about 5kms down the road... Same message "check powertrain".....

Does anyone know how to fix this problem for good? I would apreciate any feedback!

Thanks

Hey mate, how did you go with this check powertrain warning light? Have you got it fixed? If yes please tell us what the problem was as Im currently having similar problems with my VZ SV6 and currently having a big s**tfight with Holden trying to get them to fix the problem.

ozteel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder S 6spd
hey buddy dont know if u have had it fixed but had the same problem. the warning message showed up and turned my car off. turned out it was the thermostat sticking causing other probloems and this problem.

Pedro34

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Ute
Mine was the No.2 Coil pack

had it replaced and been going like a champ

although mine did show a misfire error (3000 & 3002) from memory

so Id say get a data scan to save the guess work

Cameron P

Reaction score
Members Ride
REDHOT VX SS
my mates vz acclaim does this.. everytime he turns the car on it beeps 'powertrain' , he presses mode and it goes away till he turns the car on again.

also on an unrelated but could be linked from what ozteel said.. hes loosing coolant and we cant see where from??

Commy SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SV6 A5
hey buddy dont know if u have had it fixed but had the same problem. the warning message showed up and turned my car off. turned out it was the thermostat sticking causing other probloems and this problem.

2 Holden Dealerships had scanned my car and came up with "bank 1 o2 sensor' fault. Both has failed to fix the friggin problem after both pre-cat o2 sensors were replaced. Took the car to an independent workshop who is an auto electrician aswell, their scan tool came up with the same friggin code. Next check is the ECU but I pretty much doubt it that it is the ECU I mean come on the car is only 4 1/2 years old.
Commodore is a great car but this s***ty electrical problems and their service centres' incompetence to diagnose and fix the problem is a big let down and I doubt I will fork out my hard-earned dollars on another Commodore :(