Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Lights not working and Check Powertrain

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi All,

Couple of issues with my VZ Exec. First one is brake lights not working but the third one is. Reverse light is also working. Does anyone know what this might be. Secondly when I went to move my car in my driveway today I got the check power train message and my car was running really rough and making what someone described in another thread as a wub wub sound? Does anyone know firstly what the most likely cause is for the brake lights not working? Secondly, the running rough and Check Powertrain came on tonight. This morning I topped it up with coolant but might have over filled. Could I have done something when I did this that cause the Check Powertrain?

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I should probably add that the not working brake lights rules me out of driving it to my mechanic's and when I get there I will have it scanned but I wondered if anyone had any ideas particularly with the brake lights

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Brake Light Switch,
Fuses
Globes
Socket terminals,
Trailer Socket shorting out [if fitted]
Get hold of a Multimeter, and/or a Test Lamp and check it at the rear connector [I think it behind the Boot Liner Right Hand side]

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If you get stuck,
PM me, and I will see what the good lady/minister for war and finance has planned for the weekend,
and I will come over and suss the lights out,
and scan it, if thats an option.

Carnegie is approx. 20min from me.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Step one. Get in touch with @krusing.
Step two. Scan the car for codes.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Further update, when I tried starting it it was really rough and then stalled. I am going to have to have it towed and then scanned at my mechanics although if anyone else has had anything similar happen I would be curious to see what the issue was and what the fix was. I will have a further look through past threads and see what happened with others with what the cause was and what the fix was regarding the running rough and stalling.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Brake Light Switch,
Fuses
Globes
Socket terminals,
Trailer Socket shorting out [if fitted]
Get hold of a Multimeter, and/or a Test Lamp and check it at the rear connector [I think it behind the Boot Liner Right Hand side]
By the way I have attached a photo of the fuses and relays. Do you know which one would be the most likely one to check? Sorry the photo of the label isn't the greatest

Attachments

• Label.JPG
    Label.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 67

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
By the way I have attached a photo of the fuses and relays. Do you know which one would be the most likely one to check? Sorry the photo of the label isn't the greatest
Hard to read? Is that the one under the drivers side or the one under the bonnet?

Just had another look, thats under the bonnet. Look under the steering wheel.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Topping up with coolant will not do what you are experiencing.

What it will be is either a problem with fuel delivery or most likely a massive vacuum leak. Hard brittle vacuum hoses, broken vacuum hoses will be what to look for.

The lights will be another fault again.
First, look at the trailer plug. Unscrew it and open it up. Check for any grot in there. Make sure it’s all clean. Make sure the pins are clean and clear.

Then you look into the lamp assembly. Remove the bulb sockets. (Incidentally NOS bulb harnesses are available at the moment so buy some spares off eBay), followed by checking the bulbs. If one has blown, the filament can fall across the other and also touch the earthed part.

It may just happen that reverse bulbs are blown.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Fu, you mentioned fuel delivery, any chance that the fuel pump is gone? Mine was very noisy and I assume on the way out and my mechanic has ordered a replacement. (I had done that before this occurred).