Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Check Right dipped beam lamp

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Ok I have the warning that the drivers side lamp has failed which it has. See attached photo. My question is that as I live in the country and drive on long windy country roads and need to replace the globe tomorrow. I will go to my small local country town and pickup hopefully globes from either Repco, Supercheap or AutoOne and thus will be looking at halogen globes. I am interested more in depth of the light and no so much the brightness or colour. I am looking at recommendations of brand and model type globes from members who have fitted these type of globes to their cars. Remember I will need to be do a click and collect tomorrow so I suspect only standard type of globes will be available and thus ebay will be out of the question as we get snail mail deliveries once a week. Many thanks
lamp warning.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
just remember,…

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The brighter the halogens, the less time they last...
I'd recommend HID's...

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Of halogens -which will probably be all that a small country store stocks- brightest are Narva +150’s. Next down are +130’s.

Colour- Both are a whiter than standard but not as white as “blue” halogens.

Brightness- 130’s are decent and worth the trade off in life. 150’s are visibly brighter than the 130’s. Standards next to 150’s look like the contents of my sons nappy.

Depth- I found that going from my 130’s to the 150’s, there wasn’t as much throw down the road. Still better than standard but if absolute distance was what I based my purchase on, I’d go back to the 130’s

Price may also factor in as well. 150’s are Narva’s thing. 130’s are more likely to be done as home or no name brands. I know that some people will straight away smear home brand bulbs with the contents of my sons nappy. But almost 5 years in parts and I’ve never had a customer complain about our home brand H7’s (or H1, H4, HB3 etc)

Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dont go for the wanky 'blue banded' halogens, the blue band makes them appear to be whiter...

The blue band filters light from the red end of the visible light spectrum, so you're actually losing light.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The brighter the halogens, the less time they last...
I'd recommend HID's...
HID’s = bright
HID’s in halogen headlamp assemblies = shorter life?

Regardless, HID’s = technically illegal in halogen headlamp assemblies.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HID’s = bright
HID’s in halogen headlamp assemblies = shorter life?

Regardless, HID’s = technically illegal in halogen headlamp assemblies.
Technically illegal, but a much better light. Been pulled over many times at night, and the coppers have never mentioned illegal lights.
They normally shine their torch under the rear end to check out the tires.
The R/H HID low beam bulb on the Redline has blown, just over 10 years of use.
I have a couple of spares for the VE's and one for the VF, $34 each including postage.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
How about get the cheapest H7 light initially like a long life bulb just to get you by this week whilst you snail mail a pair of HIDs?
This is the one I have:
https://www.ebay.com.au/p/5026939905

And judging by some comments here I wouldn’t be the only one that thinks these are excellent quality and substantially lift the brightness and throw from the housings.
Unfortunately they don’t do 4300K anymore but the 6000K isn’t as wank factor compared to LED 6000Ks.
I was pulled over 4 times during the long weekend in NSW just past at night for RBTs. Three were HWP, one were the local cops. Not one officer batted an eyelid at my HIDs.
Of course if you drive in a way that attracts attention, that’s when they’ll start perhaps looking more into these things.