Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking Trans fluid level?

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hi guys,

Seems such an ametuer question but I'm having trouble verifying how much trans fluid is in my VS. On the actual stick it says to check with the car idling in Park, but when I do that I can't get an accurate measure. As soon as I shut the car off, the fluid is on in the Hot cross hatch section, but when I check it cold, it's way past the cold mark. I think I have overfilled it but really not sure as getting mixed results. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
If you leave it idling in park when you pull the tranny dipstick give it a wipe put it back then pull it again straight away to get a mesurement.
it is best if you check it warm (i.e. after 20km or so).
I hope that helps.
Have a happy new year!

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks mate, yeah that's what I've been doing and I just can't see the reading. As soon as I turn the car off, all good - the level is in plain sight. If the Cold method is 100% accurate I guess I'll have to go with that and assume I've over filled it. I guess the only other way is to drop the lot and refill....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
the only way to check it is with the car on flat ground, idling with the trans in park and up to running temperature. if you check it with the engine off some of the trans fluid in the transmission/converter will drain back into the trans sump and give a in-accurate reading. the cold mark on the dipstick is only a rough guide but again must be used with the engine running. sound like you don't have enough fluid in it.

never check the trans fluid level with the engine shut off

if your having trouble seeing the fluid level on the dipstick, have some white paper handy, kitchen handy towels work well. with draw the dipstick from the trans and lay on the paper towel immediately

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Cool mate, thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if the Cold mark was with engine on or off. I'm thinking you're right - not enough rather than too much. I gradually add some more while it's hot and see if I can track the mark moving :)

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
The method Ive used to check auto fluid is to have the car running (handbrake and brake applied) and cycle through all of the gears ie P > R > N > D > 3 > 2 > 1 and then back to N or P and check the fluid.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
all marks are with the engine on

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
if your having trouble seeing the fluid level on the dipstick, have some white paper handy, kitchen handy towels work well. with draw the dipstick from the trans and lay on the paper towel immediately

That is a very good idea...especially for us old buggers.

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks guys, turns out it was so low it wasn't regsitering warm. All topped up now :)