Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chevy SS Aerial

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Beware, the reason the VF in Australia has the long antenna is for good AM reception which is not an issue in the US. So if you listen to any AM stations it may be unsuitable any distance away from your preferred AM station. In my VF I can pick up AM stations 260kms away with the occasional hiccup.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I had the Walkinshaw stubby antenna which worked okay, but not as good as the original. I bought the Chev SS antenna off ebay. Part No 92262446 which I believe is the correct one. It took a bit of time to fit it to my SSV ute (PITA really). Sat nav works great but it doesn't seem to work at all for the FM radio. Does anyone know enough about these to make it work? I'm currently just using a bit of wire which works okay.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
I had the Walkinshaw stubby antenna which worked okay, but not as good as the original. I bought the Chev SS antenna off ebay. Part No 92262446 which I believe is the correct one. It took a bit of time to fit it to my SSV ute (PITA really). Sat nav works great but it doesn't seem to work at all for the FM radio. Does anyone know enough about these to make it work? I'm currently just using a bit of wire which works okay.

Chevy SS had FM antenna in the rear windscreen IIRC - shark fin was for XM Radio and Nav.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
SuperCoach has done this swap on his motorsport. Something to do with swapping the innards of the standard aerial with the exterior of the shark fin.....

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I had a short carbon fibre antenna on my E3 Maloo, it was only for looks, as AM/FM reception with the IQ was useless...

Removed it from the Maloo, and tried it on the Magnum, for looks....

It actually works really well, I was pleasantly surprised! Its started to fade in the sun, but it works!

DEW_1892 (Medium).JPG

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
SuperCoach has done this swap on his motorsport. Something to do with swapping the innards of the standard aerial with the exterior of the shark fin.....
Mmmmm thanks, I might have to check that out.

killingwithasmile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
Fitted a shark fin to my wagon today, was just a generic Chinese one off eBay with the largest hole I could find.

dr14qHf.jpg

Uay1aC2.jpg

Disregard filthy car!

Was a bit of a stuff around to install but nothing too technical. Being a wagon made it easier with the aerial mounted to the tailgate so only trim to remove no headliner. Had to remove the gps unit from the housing but could leave it on the die cast base and fit it in the shark fin flush with a tiny bit of filing. Then it just 3M taped down and snapped back into the factory hole.

Radio reception hasn’t changed both am/fm still clear but I’m relatively metro, gps working as it was.

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Bought a stubby antenna of eBay around $30 delivered. Works fine, easy install screw off screw on. On one occasion the wife said the fm reception was down a little but it was cloudy / raining if that counts for anything.

Couldn't stand the look of the oem. We don't listen to am radio

Attachments

• IMG_4400.JPG
    IMG_4400.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 180

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Bought a stubby antenna of eBay around $30 delivered. Works fine, easy install screw off screw on. On one occasion the wife said the fm reception was down a little but it was cloudy / raining if that counts for anything.

Couldn't stand the look of the oem. We don't listen to am radio

I have one just like this if anyone wants it. Still in its original packaging. $20 please PM me otherwise ill add it to eBay in a couple of days.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
I have one just like this if anyone wants it. Still in its original packaging. $20 please PM me otherwise ill add it to eBay in a couple of days.

sold