Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

chill factor

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
hey i was just sittin in my chair being very bored and i remember a while back that the V8 supercar teams used to keep their fuel for the race cars in a huge fridge??? now lately i have noticed that most of the fuel saver clips that sit on the end of your injectors heat up the fuel to burn more efficiently..... wats the go with this and which one would do you think would work the best??? :)

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
well i like where you heading with this but im afraid im about to shoot you down. the reason they kept the fuel in a huge fridge was:

A: becease the Supercars run so hot that cold fuel in the tank would be hot by the time it gets to the injectors.

B: Colder fuel is less flamible making re-fills safer.

these are just gessess. i like the topic though, certainly makes those fuel saver devices (of wich i am not a fan) seem very questionable.

malscar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSv6
If you cool down the fuel, it actually takes up less volume and therefore you can fit more fuel into a tank than if it was at normal temps.

First I heard of it was in the American TransAm series in the late 60's. Roger Penske's team used dry ice and acetone in a big drum to cool 44gal fuel drums placed inside the larger drum and actually had ice forming on the outside of the larger drums. This was when they were running the Camaro. They worked out that if they reduced the fuel temp to about 5 deg celsius then they could put 105ltrs into a 100ltr tank. This could mean either missing a pit stop or putting less in at the final stop.