Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chilling fuel

78_torana

Reaction score
Members Ride
l67 torana
Has anyone had experience in chilling the fuel supply for an increase in power? I know the fuel gets pretty warm in mine especially e85, the yt fuel rails are hot to touch in the bay after a bit of drive. I've heard of peltier coolers being used also I've found this on the net which uses co2
http://www.designengineering.com/catego ... ing-system

Please discuss even if it's non commodore related as I believe gains are to be had especially in my case where I have injectors in the blower to cool the intake charge

This applies to forced induction setup only not a stock v6 with a stereo, thanks

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Ive never really looked into it but maybe one of maces supercharger insulators could also help keep the lines cooler by reducing heat from the supercharger housing?
I dont think it makes a huge difference until your scraping for every last KW you can get, i would like to see some dyno results to see what sort of difference it really would make.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah i've had some experience with peltier coolers and they were terrible for what we wanted to achieve... did manage to get a 20 degree drop with em so they might do the trick

78_torana

Reaction score
Members Ride
l67 torana
20 degrees is a fair drop, i already run a mace 25mm insulator mainly for clearance, it helps a little. Do you have any pics of the peltier setup or could you draw a simple diagram? Also how much would one be to suit the application ? I've looked around on a few sites and they seem fairly cheap but I dont know how big of u unit u would use? Cheers, Hayden

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I am of the belief that there is a specific heat range where each type of fuel will release the most energy, I don't have the resources for expansive testing but I can tell you it is fact that if it is too cool or too hot is bad for performance, this is why fuel companies mix differing brews for summer and winter climates.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
20deg is still a decent temp decrease.. Especially when talking about under bonnet

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
20deg is still a decent temp decrease.. Especially when talking about under bonnet

We were running them to try and create a cloud chamber so they were pretty much lined out like tiles... i really dunno how you'd go about making them to suit fuel lines though

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
My dirt bike always went harder with cooler fuel.

I believe fuel temp effects octane.

The temp affects how good the fuel vaporises.