Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chilling fuel

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Maybe in a supercharge motor or at atmospheric pressure but N/A it is in a vacuum.
I an no expert so I have no substance to back that up sorry.
If you have something to back it up then I am always ready to learn something.

same reason Im asking lol. I do know weird stuff happens in a vacuum.

78_torana

Reaction score
Members Ride
l67 torana
No it won't be a dodgy old cooler hanging out the front. The cooler on the front atm is in as pretty good nic, I was also going to cool it using CPU fans or something similar as I said earlier, most likely in the boot next to the cell

78_torana

Reaction score
Members Ride
l67 torana
The liquid to gas cooling was the driving force between the injectors in the blower idea. I've got a few pics in the miscellaneous section. The whole build is on l67t tho. Haven't really had much intrest here to warrant the effort to share it all, fair enough tho as it is a commodore site

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I am of the belief that there is a specific heat range where each type of fuel will release the most energy, I don't have the resources for expansive testing but I can tell you it is fact that if it is too cool or too hot is bad for performance, this is why fuel companies mix differing brews for summer and winter climates.

^^^this

OP what you are talking about has about the same power benefits as an electric supercharger, or fitting magnets to the fuel system.

if you do plan on doing this you will need to somehow hook a temp sensor to your fuel supply to let it know when the fuel is warm and when it is cold so it can adjust its tune accordingly. you may have this silly idea from watching the V8 supercars dump dry ice into the bin on top of their tank, they do that for fuel conservation, not power. its all an attempt to get that tank of fuel lasting a few more laps than the next guy. the problem is the tune needs to be altered as the temp of fuel goes back to normal.

peltier heat plates are a MASSIVE waste of energy. also the weight of the ceramic plates would offset any pissy dyno HP you make so you would be wasting 1. watts 2. weight 3. lots of money.

it is true that colder fuel will have a greater reaction to air/spark, but we are just talking about room temperature as opposed to track temperature which can be up around the 50 deg mark. you can easily keep your tank at room temp by insulating it. no need for any external cooling sources.

but this thread has all the smells of "im trying it anyway, because no one else has" which i can assure you isnt true. people have been cooling fuel since the the 50's. i once heard a cool story about them leaving tanks of fuel in ice until just before the race then heating up the outside so the metal tank compresses and shoots the fuel out faster. which also didnt work.

but if you like spending cash on R&D which has been done for the last 60 years, then by all means go for it. i wish you luck.

Last edited:

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
No it won't be a dodgy old cooler hanging out the front. The cooler on the front atm is in as pretty good nic, I was also going to cool it using CPU fans or something similar as I said earlier, most likely in the boot next to the cell

You'll be losing any cooling benifits by the time the fuel reaches the engine with a cooler mounted so far from the engine.

78_torana

Reaction score
Members Ride
l67 torana
Yeah fair enough. Just thought I'd get some opinions going. Cheers for the feedback, probly wont bother. Will be money better spent elsewhere

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
you looked into the water injection? i dont have any expierence with it myself, but the theory behind it is sound, and the 'advertise' cooler intake temps and cleaner burning fuel. i know that advertises make a lot of bold claims, but there are a few very high end engines running water injection. check it out on youtube.

once again i repaet: i have no expierence with this! but, from a bit of research its not a new idea. having being used on spitfires during WW2: Rolls-Royce Griffon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Griffon 57 and 57A
1,960 hp (1,460 kW); 2,345 hp (1,749 kW) with water-methanol injection on take-off: used on Avro Shackleton.[25]

another reference: Water Injection in Commercial Aircraft Investigated for Increasing Engine Life and Reducing Costs and Emissions

this is something that has been researched thoroughly and is being used by tuning workshops worldwide on chargers. i personally believe that the reason you dont see it on road cars is simply because people would forget to fill up the water every time they fill the fuel, and also the added weight of the water may actually offset the fuel economy benifts for regular (low comp) tuned engines.

i dunno, just an idea.

Last edited by a moderator: