Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chip

A

adsVN

some fell today was telling me about how his mate had a vn calais with a "chip" and it used to rip everyone.......(on so on...)
what exactly is a chip and how does it work in making the car more powerful and faster?

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
It changes the fuel and oil mixtures and does other stuff, but they work best if you have extractors and exaust to let your car breathe better, i think they only give you 15-20 kw more, guys correct me if im wrong

midnight.outlaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S series 2
QUOTE what exactly is a chip and how does it work in making the car more powerful and faster?

The "chip" is a microchip that is programmed to change you fuel air ratio etc... as Salem mentioned. Usually they put a new chip in that is "remappable", meaning that they can change the settings on it more easily once you have one installed.

B

blacki

I think what he would mean by chip is a pre-programmed sports chip like one from a walkinshaw.

Some trivia for ya. Surprisingly enough a walkinshaw chip will work in a VN 6, no real performance gain, but a lot more fuel consumption.

The moral is you're better of getting your current chip re-mapped by a dyno technician. Performance gains and economy gains.

The other chip that he could've mean is a EMS (Engine Management System)
Like those manufactured by Haltech, MicroTech, MoTeC.
They're the kind you can hook up to a laptop to remap ignition timing, switch between two ignition maps whilst driving, log engine data such as o2 sensors, MAP sensors, Throttle position, boost sensors (if you're that way inclined). You can use it to automatically engage your Nitrous at a certain rev range, or give your intercooler a squirt of water at a certain air temp.

That should give you an idea anyway.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
QUOTE (Salem @ Feb 11 2004, 03:27 PM) i think they only give you 15-20 kw more, guys correct me if im wrong
i'd be impressed if they gave that much with stock everything else

B

blacki

Don't be surprised, simply removing a clutch fan and installing a thermo fan gives around about 15kw. a 15kw increase is not much.

also depends on how the cars were tuned from the factory and the current setup. If you are going to spend the money on getting your car dynoed I'd recommend spending the money on a decent exhaust system and a mild cam, (prob bigger injectors too). Rather than having to get it tuned again later.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i thought a clutch fan was a thermo fan? do you mean the old ones that sat on the end of the crank?

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
QUOTE (jules @ Feb 12 2004, 04:50 PM) i thought a clutch fan was a thermo fan? do you mean the old ones that sat on the end of the crank?
Yes a clutch fan runs off the crack, where as thermos are electriclly run, such that there is no power drain off the engine.
Cheers

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Speaking of which I have noticed lots of ppl running twin 12inch thermos in their commies from the, dare I say it............AU's!!!
How hard is it to install this setup? Does this mean the shroud over my clutch fan has to be removed??
Cheers and Thankx

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Also I just found out that changing from the factory 86 degree thermostat to a 80 degree one can give up to 13 KW more at treads Also that the thermos will suck about 20amps and will be making my electrical system work harder meaning the battery and alternator wont last as long and at night with head lights and other electricals on the 85amp alternator will struggle!!!
Am I better to stick with the clutch fan and spend the money on other mods (exhaust, TB, etc) to increase power rather then the thermos route (as thermos increase power as there is less load on engine)??
Cheers, Thankx and Sorry