Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chrome on the dash. WTF???

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The problem with the matt black surround is that it now looks like a shifter you'd find in an i20 or some other econo-shitbox.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
The problem with the matt black surround is that it now looks like a shifter you'd find in an i20 or some other econo-shitbox.
Those were my exact first thoughts when I saw the pic. If it wasn't for the climate control I don't think I would have even recognised it as a VF interior.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Mattiwill has painted the surrounds in satin not matte, there is a difference.

Matte and Flat

These paint finishes deliver a smooth, subtle look and show little to no sheen when dry, as they absorb light.

Pros: Matte and flat finishes cover imperfections in surface and application, making either a great choice for ceilings as well as for walls in the bedroom, dining room and living room. You can easily touch up this finish.

Cons: In general, they hold dirt and prove difficult to clean, because cleaning can actually remove the finish. Some manufacturers, such as Behr, Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore, make scrubbable versions that allow for easier cleaning. Do not use in bathrooms, the kitchen or a kid's room.

Satin

This silky, smooth paint finish actually retains its pearl-like sheen when dry.

Pros: A satin finish reflects more light than matte and stands up well to washing. Use in high-traffic areas such as bathrooms, the kitchen and a kid's room as well as on trim and molding throughout the house.

Cons: This finish does not hide imperfections in surface or application; any touchups will stand out.

Semigloss and Gloss

These paint finishes reflect the most light of any when dry, providing a bright sheen.

Pros: Semigloss and gloss finishes prove durable and scrubbable, with semigloss offering high resistance to moisture. Use in the kitchen and bathrooms as well as on trim and molding throughout the house.

Cons: These finishes show every single imperfection in surface and application, requiring additional prep work and sanding to create a smooth surface. Touchups of this finish also will stand out because of the difference in sheen.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
I think vinyl wrap would be the go, if was to change the chrome look, at least you can peel it off to change the colour, or put back to stock.

mattiwill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sports Wagon
I'm rather surprised that most people don't suffer from the reflection off the chrome! Such diverse opinions too, which is great! I personally think that it looks ten time better in satin black than chrome, but then again I have always been a fan of the stealth look, and each to their own, but in no way do I think it looks cheap. And as far as painting the original parts, that really wasn't an issue as I have no desire to put it back to chrome, I actually want to get other parts done satin black, and if when the time comes to sell it, unless you're a commodore fan or something, chances are you probably wouldn't even notice that it was chrome to begin with. I don't really worry about resale, I'm making changes that suit me, not making changes that are going to suit the person who will own it after me.

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
I like the chrome I think it looks classy but your right it can be a pain in the ass if the sun is in the right spot, just like if the misses is playing with her Iphone in the passenger seat the glare can be very distracting.

CalaisVLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2litre V8
I like the chrome I think it looks classy but your right it can be a pain in the ass if the sun is in the right spot, just like if the misses is playing with her Iphone in the passenger seat the glare can be very distracting.
Chrome touch points do indeed look classy. The chrome on the vent surrounds and steering wheel chin has a metallic depth to it that really lifts the interior.....i remember my VEII calais V had a black interior with only some painted plastic on the dash belt line and steering wheel....looked cheap and the lack of metal-like finish made the interior dark and dull. The VF on the other hand is quite classy with the chrome highlights. My VFII has all the chrome and a sunroof.....never had any issue with sun glare or reflection. The feeling of cool (temp) chrome touch points in the morning does lift the interior feel.