Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cigar anyone??

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
i dont mind the od one either, any flavour really.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Now and then I'll have a sigar with mates...

Last time we decided to smoke cigars, drink Canadian Club and Asahi, eat beef jerk (the proper stuff not the supermarket cr@p) and watch 'Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels' and 'Snatch'.

A successful night that was... bar that by the time we got to Snatch we were well on our way and all out quotes were slightly wrong... :p

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
I don't smoke anything, but if you're going to smoke cigars you can't smoke those $15 for 20 monstrosities at the service station

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
As a relative novice to the cigar scene myself I have found that there is a lot of merit in finding a quality local cigar supplier - not someone who sells cigars as well as lighters, cigarettes, bongs et cetera...and have a chat with them about how to choose a cigar and the relative merits of various styles.

The vendor should be able to give you some good advice not only about how to choose a cigar but also how to smoke and enjoy one (there are some very good tips to be had).

If you are going to be halfway serious about smoking a decent cigar you don't want to (as mentioned above) be buying any cheap, old or poorly stored product - my method has been, after some serious consultation with my local cigar man, to choose a style of cigar and work my way through a range of different brands all in the same style to see which one I enjoy the most.

I have chosen the "Petit Corona" style, which is an approximately 20mm diameter (they are actually measured in ring sizes) and roughly between 100mm and 120mm long.
A good enjoyable smoke of one of these can take between 40 - 60 minutes.

So far I have tried Petit's from "Bolivar", "Monte Cristo", "Hoyo de Monterey", "Punch" and "El Rey Del Mundo".

Up to now my favourite is the "Punch" followed by the "Monte Cristo" - both of these cigars are very good choices for novices.

Obviously they are all Habanas (product of Cuba) and are worth the money if that's what you want to spend it on - all of these have ranged between $20 and $30 a cigar; at the end of the day it's about how much you want to get into the scene and what you are willing to pay, but with cigars there is absolutely no substitute for quality.

Cheers.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Yeah, I have one every now and again...

Mainly because of my uncle has his own special cigar box? with humidity gauge? barometer or whatever... he loves em, sit back with a makers mark - on the rocks, cigar in hand, watching the sun set over the water.. its a good way to spend 30mins, to an hour..

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
for a non smoking noob here, but whats the significant difference between smokes and cigar beside flavors and size as mentioned???

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
diffrent herb's ect ^^

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
for a non smoking noob here, but whats the significant difference between smokes and cigar beside flavors and size as mentioned???

Cigarettes are made from shredded tobacco, with a lot more crap added to it. The smoke is designed to be inhaled into the lungs.

Cigars have a much more complex and enjoyable flavour (I'm talking about the natural flavour, not strawberry, vanilla, chocolate etc). The smoke is much thicker, but isn't supposed to be inhaled, it's rolled around the mouth and expelled. Cigars are made from whole tobacco leaves rolled up and don't have a filter.

In terms of health risks, occasional use of cigars is negligible - frequent long term use risks mainly lip and mouth cancer, whereas cigarettes are primarily lung cancer.

Last edited: