Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cigarette lighter fix

2nd.Chance

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 Commodore
After several years of having the cigarette lighter loose in the housing and not working I'll like it fixed due to a recent TomTom purchase.
Is it a big job the remove the console bit to get into where the lighter is housed and can this be done at home or if it's too big a job has anyone ever had a lighter socket/USB port located somewhere else to charge the modern type electronic equipment.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
The lighter socket is a very simple piece of kit.
I haven't had to look closely at one for a long time.
As I recall, a common problem was that if they were not properly earthed, the circuit would be open (incomplete), and they wouldn't work.
So, when you secure the socket, you might find that it starts working.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
After several years of having the cigarette lighter loose in the housing and not working I'll like it fixed due to a recent TomTom purchase.
Is it a big job the remove the console bit to get into where the lighter is housed and can this be done at home or if it's too big a job has anyone ever had a lighter socket/USB port located somewhere else to charge the modern type electronic equipment.

Not sure about the 02 models, but I put this in the glove box of my 97 VT SS.

Gorilla62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Ford Ranger
Ours had the same issue with the big nut that fastened the lighter to the housing, it has come unscrewed. We to decided not to dismantle the trim so another lighter socket was installed in the boot and when charging say the TomTom we just run a long cord through the rear seat into the front.

Gunthrop

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Had the same problem here too, but just got someone to sort it all for me, not too technical myself.