Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Claiming stuff on tax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
put it like this. what would you use at work, need to get to and from work and what would you wear at work.
if you still have to do out of pocket courses you can most likely claim them, ie you go to trade school you claim school books etc.
if your in a trade, most likely youll require tools. if you have mates/friends that buy tools/materials with cash get the receipts (every bit helps =P)
when it comes to your car, keep all ways associated to it, such as petrol, maintainence, parts you needed, it does add up.

im no expert in this, and never will be. so your accountant etc will be the best bet.
so ask them for a list of everything you could claim for the next time, and dont loose that sheet =P

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
I'm an Accountant, and the determination of a deductible expense is an expense that is incurred to maintain or enhance your ability to earn assessible income in your current employment. But you cannot claim expenses that relate to you gaining additional employment.

a1k3m1
if your car you drive to work in is a dedicated work driving car you can claim petrol and wear and tear and replacement parts

This is incorrect. Car travel TO or FROM work IS NOT deductible. Motor Vehicle expenses incurred driving between jobs is generally allowable, but not from home to/from jobs.

drawnnite
put it like this. what would you use at work, need to get to and from work and what would you wear at work.
if you still have to do out of pocket courses you can most likely claim them, ie you go to trade school you claim school books etc.
if your in a trade, most likely youll require tools. if you have mates/friends that buy tools/materials with cash get the receipts (every bit helps =P)
when it comes to your car, keep all ways associated to it, such as petrol, maintainence, parts you needed, it does add up.

Clearly you're not an expert. Your first sentence is factually inaccurate. Self-education expenses must be incurred whilst currently employed in the field and the course must be directly related to the job that earns you income, or help you get a promotion, but NOT for gaining a new job. ie. a plumber undertaking a hospitality course is not deductible. Your third sentence is considered fraud and is a serious offence. If you're Audited, you're up sh** creek. As for the last sentence refer to the end of my post.

To clear up, Motor Vehicle expenses can be claimed in a couple of ways and the most common include c/km method, which is 0.74c/km (for a 1.6-2.6L engine) driven for work purposes up to a limit of 5,000km(which can be carefully estimated based on kms per week). Or the actual expenses method which includes all costs (inc depreciation), but determined by a business use % obtained by using a logbook of 12 continuous weeks in a year.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Car travel TO or FROM work IS NOT deductible. Motor Vehicle expenses incurred driving between jobs is generally allowable, but not from home to/from jobs.

Depends on if the place of work is your home or not.

Seriously, talking tax on a forum is stupid.

vnkid

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT Calais
Depends on if the place of work is your home or not.

Seriously, talking tax on a forum is stupid.

Rightly so but in the general sense from an individual persons point of view, most people don't work from home, rather have a place of employment.
I should edit the start of that sentence to be clearer.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
After a nice little warning letter i got about 5 years ago i only put down what i earned, what i was taxed and my medicare lol. Its not worth trying to rip the government lol.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I wonder at times if people stand in the dock and say "Your Honour, I was advised on an internet forum <insert advice> and this is why I committed the crime."

On your tax form you could sign with a clause "this self assessment was completed with advice from random strangers, so I cannot be held responsible for items claimed as deductions <insert links to said posts.>"

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I claim anything I can up to the cost of $500 (So clothes, equipme t etc I claim $499) cos' when I do mine on eTax, you can claim up to $499 without a reciept

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
to be honest, just go see an accountant, they will be your best bet with what you can and cannot do.

and to clarify before about schoolbooks, i only suggested it as if you are an apprentice (like i am now) it would be related to your job

Status
Not open for further replies.