Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Claybar convert

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
A sealant is a better option in my opinion as it is more durable then a wax. Most sealants can be layered which can add more gloss to the finish. Yes you can add a wax over the top of a sealant but the wax won't last of as long as it won't bond well but it's definitely worth the effort as it gets the gloss of a sealant and the warmth of a wax

So more sealant or not? I did 1 sealant and 1 wax on my E3 - hope to wax again soon. Am planning on the mrsssusssuss car and considering my options. BTW - it's huge so not wanting to fuqitup.

toey@carfx

Detailing Junkie
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
2007 wm caprice
Hmmm..... Well that combo isn't going to be great as glazes generally have some cleaners in them and if it's mixed with a sealant the quality of the sealant is compromised. Due to this n 2nd coat will only be wasting product but waxing over the top will improve the look.

To be honest I would not replace these products when you finish them as they are over priced for the quality of the product inside. I would look at either duragloss 111 (it says polish but yanks call everything polish, it is a sealant) and do 2 or 3 layers or some hd poxy and do the same. The poxy is easier to use in my opinion and dirt cheap. Them I would top it with some 3d blue paste wax. One tun of this will last you for many years to come and it performs as good as $100+ waxes. I would also grab some optimum car wax which is a spray wax to use after each wash to top up the wax, it will add about 5 min to your wash routine but will help the paste wax n sealant last much longer. It will also replace using a quick detailer after drying the pant to remove water streaks

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I had to work all weekend so I didn't get to attack the VR with the bar. but I washed it the other day and decided to test a spot - and it seemed to do a good job. the section I did is extremely smooth compared to before. most of the paint on my VR feels grippy - it needs some tlc. it still does scrub up well after a wash though.

how should I go about repairing it? should I just wash/chamois, claybar and then wax?

NU13

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
Ladies and gentlemen since i clay barred my car a few days ago i have been trying to work out exactly what is used in the lube. It had a distinctive smell to it and a milky look. I think i might have figured out what it is.
Watered down Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer! Smells the same and apart from it being a lot thicker also looks the same. I'm picking that MeGuiars use distilled water with it though.
What do you guys think?? Am i close with this?

No one thinks i'm right or no one cares? :D

Demonica

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS clubsport
No one knows most likely. Well either that or no one puts too much thought into what their various car detailing products smell like lol. Could always try emailing them and ask if you're really curious?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I`ve got a head cold so everything smells the same sorry mate can`t comment.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
ok so i got a clay bar now just need to get some polish and wax

so basically i
-wash the car
-clay bar the car with some soapy water of some kind? in the shade, small spots at a time and dont let it dry on there.
-do you give it a rinse off or polish straight up?
-then polish it
-then wax it?
any small steps im missing out on here?

i have some crappy microfibre cloths will try them as i dont want to spend the money at this time on decent one posted in this thread

i have some meguairs deep crystal polish but will probably choose the 3m stuff at work and use the machine to polish it
what wax should i use? i have some turtle wax of some kind would that be fine?

also on an unrelated note i was cleaning the interior and had a few armourall wipes left over from yrs ago. they had basically dried (were damp but not wet like when new) and they are a really good cloth. i wiped down my dash, trims,door jams and rims. really held the dirt in it and didnt spread it everywhere