Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cleanin caliper for painting

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
lieos is right, drums heat up much higher and faster than discs in normal driving so if its ok on that then it should be fine on the discs, but do as few coats as possible because the more you do the more likely it will come off, more coats means the more heat can soak into the paint.

mark up the disc good, should make it look pretty good painting the hub.

for what its worth propper brake paint is something like $12 from autObarn (more than enough to coat 2 calipers)

for cleaning, i wouldnt hit the rubbers with carby cleaner, just take the rubbers off and plug up the hole with anything, dont paint the sides of the piston, if you do youll have BIG problems, leaking and brake fading really fast, if you do get paint on the sides, use something like 1200 paper to sand it off, be careful.

and try and get all grime off, bare metal is the best, i left a bit of grime in a few places on mine and it didn't come out too well.

Good Luck

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Use a wire brush bit for your drill....... then go over it with metho after. You can get it down to bare metal if you wanted to....i didnt bother with a chemical clean, It takes too long and im never happy.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
I just used steel wool and soapy water to clean mine when i painted mine over a year ago. I painted my calipers and rotors with $2 spray paint from supercheap and its still nice bright and shinny after 1 year.

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
can i paint the hole disc? will is stuff up my pads?
And i find that oven cleaner works a tread when getting rid of grease and grime.
spray it one and leave it for 10 minutes and wipe it off.

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
I just used steel wool and soapy water to clean mine when i painted mine over a year ago. I painted my calipers and rotors with $2 spray paint from supercheap and its still nice bright and shinny after 1 year.
i'll have to have a look next time is see ya car, If you see a 16 yo looking at ya car then don't bash him lol:thumbsup:

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
And i find that oven cleaner works a tread when getting rid of grease and grime.

lol I hope your'e joking... You can't paint the whole disc for 2 reasons: a) the paint will ruin your stopping ability and probably destroy the pads and discs and b) discs are designed to wear over time so the paint would most likely just be rubbed straight off anyway, making it pointless.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
i done mine and it didnt come up too bad i think

All i used was carby clean and a scotch pad and then just painted

Also my rotors were brand new

Attachments

• snow and commo pics 003.jpg
    snow and commo pics 003.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 433
  • snow and commo pics 002.jpg
    snow and commo pics 002.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 289

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride

Yes you can paint the whole disc. Mine was all rusty and looked **** so i painted it all silver. couldnt be bothered to masked up the disc part where the pads press so i painted that aswell then got some thinners or thurps and went around it with a rag soaked in thinners to try get most of the paint off. Most of it came off with the thinners and the rest that was on there wore off by the time i reversed out of the driveway. Makes life a lot easyer that way. I have to re-do my orange calapers soon. Just noticed it getting a but faded. But i guess $2 paint lasted 1 and half years so i cant complain.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
i'll have to have a look next time is see ya car, If you see a 16 yo looking at ya car then don't bash him lol:thumbsup:

haha i will keep that in mind.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
A light brush of cooking oil also works quite well.