Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cleaning out engine bay

Charles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
I have recently purchased a VZ Clubsport and have noticed the engine bay and surrounding
areas are fairly dirty. Whats the best way and best products to go about cleaning it???
Any help will be greatly appreciated...Thanks

ciddyau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
I've never tried it but I want to clean mine aswell. I heard you can just use a gerni or karcher (high pressure hose) on them and just avoid wetting the electrics or even take the battery out to do so. But wouldnt mind knowing exactly how to do so myself.

Sly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y II Clubsport 260
Grab a can of degreaser and spray it all down, then (with the engine cold) grab a brush and a dribble of water and scrub the crap off.

Then you can grab some wax polish if you want and go nuts polishing it.....

GTS-Replica

Full Members
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
When the car is cold drive it to the girnis. Turn it off cover the engine and bay in sca degreaser. Start it up. Than girni the engine whilst running. After that drive it for about 30 mins all done like new dont worry about batterys etc just dont cover the injectors in water and alternator put a plastic bag over it if you want. Cheers Travis.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
High Pressure Hose and Degreaser. I've washed hundreds of cars without covering anything in the engine bay and the only time i ever had an issue was on a TR Astra. But that thing deserved the bin anyway.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
just spray it all down with degreaser when its cold, then hose it off. buy a couple of cans and go nuts. after you hose it all off, wipe with a cloth all the big pools of water then start it up and take it for a drive, the only thing i would try to avoid are the coil packs that plug on the spark plugs, other than that, its all fairly safe, the electrical connections are usually water resistant type clips anyways

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just go to the do it yourself carwash, cover the engine in degreaser (avoid belts) then rinse off with spot free rinse.

Did mine last week and had no issues. I did blow it down afterwards with compressed air though.

Just dont drown any electrical components.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Thought I would include some pics to show what a difference about 30 mins work can make to your engine bay.

First I covered my OTR and Alternator with plastic bags to ensure they didnt get wet.

Then I used my Karcher high pressure cleaner over the whole engine bay to remove any loose dirt and dust.

After coating the engine bay with some citrus degreaser, I used a long handled paint brush and some Mint All Purpose Cleaner to agitate any areas with a lot of buildup. This made getting in to tight spots very easy.

I then sprayed off any left over suds and used some armor all protectant over the entire thing.

Results... Went from this...

img1189zj.jpg

To This :)

img1261yh.jpg

Charles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Thought I would include some pics to show what a difference about 30 mins work can make to your engine bay.

First I covered my OTR and Alternator with plastic bags to ensure they didnt get wet.

Then I used my Karcher high pressure cleaner over the whole engine bay to remove any loose dirt and dust.

After coating the engine bay with some citrus degreaser, I used a long handled paint brush and some Mint All Purpose Cleaner to agitate any areas with a lot of buildup. This made getting in to tight spots very easy.

I then sprayed off any left over suds and used some armor all protectant over the entire thing.

Results... Went from this...

img1189zj.jpg

To This :)

img1261yh.jpg

Thanks heaps everyone...Awesome help!!!