Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cleaning throttle body

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yeah i pulled the throtle body off. i didnt want that black grime in my engine. remember that if you just spray the cleaner in then where is the grime going to need to go??? throught the engine and thats not very nice!

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
huh? the grime and carbon deposits will be put throught the engine so wouldnt that be bad?! it seems like a stupid idea to me. the worstthing you could do for your engine is to put grit at the intake and then let the running engine suck it through. i really cant see how the cleaner would have any real effect on the carbon deposits on the ports and cyclinder tops. and even if it did do anything the deposits would go into the oil which isnt a good thing either. i have cleaned carbon deposits out of exhaust ports and off cyclinders and then the only thing that removes it is a wire brush then i dont think a spray on cleaner will really do squat. it may take off the more recent carbon but the caked on stuff needs to be scrubed or even chipped off.

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
take the throttle body off and clean it with throttle body spray cleaner. also unscrew and take off the idler control unit, this is usally blocked up and contributes to rough idle.
my car ran a little rough for about 20 kms or so, and now the differance is awsome, heaps more power and you can hear her suck air as you floor it.
i rcomend this to anyone who is having fuel or rough idle problems.

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hey guys, i was having idle problems so i cleaned the throttle body and idle control valve by taking it apart and giving it a hell of a clean, it was ok for a couple of days, then for some reason back to the **** rough idle!!! the only thing i noticed was better response!!! im a bit pissed off cos iv tryed every thing, the leads, plugs, coil pack oxygen sensor and filters have all recently been changed, but still a bad idle and a bit of misfire every so often! can any1 help me on this!!! :b: i cant take it anymore!!!! :drink:

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
sounds like you need a OFF the car injector clean or maybe a reco injector job. im not saying its impossible but it is rare for a vr-vs to misfire if you have raplaced plugs and leads, sounds like it could be a petrol problem especially as you say cleaning the throttle bottle helped but then it returned.

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
ok well il look into that 1! how much does it cost to do the proper injector clean????

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
invest in a gragory's manual and do it yourself. i did it on my vn years ago (a bit simpler than vs), and its just a matter of removing the fuel rail and the injectors just sit there. take them out, clean and replace rubber o ring good as new~!

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
how do you clean them? what with and how?
i do have the gregories book il give it a read