Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cleaning ur throttle body

VT97

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
cleaned the plenum today used nulons carby cleaner small wire brush, spong heaps of rags, and a plastic scraper, pulled the cover off and shove a large rag down each port, i made sure the rags werent fraying dont wanna leave anything in those ports, then set to work spraying, scraping and sponging the gunk out of there, ended up using a fair bit of carby cleaner, also cleaned the throttle body... make sure you have plenty of rags..and the car was a bit hard to start stalled 3 times, after that it was fine..seenms a little better...also sprayed some wd40 down the throttle cable (sticking peddle, it freed it up nicely, dont know for how long tho...lol.

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
TigerVX said:
I'm not real keen on spraying that much crap into the plenum and if you want to clean the plenum properly you would need to remove it or atleast the plenum cover if you don't mind having that much crap going into your engine.

Well dont do it then. Half my mates are mechanics and it doesnt harm your engine. You get a puff of smoke with your first start then all is good (its just the carby cleaner passing through). Obviously if you want to get every bit of crap out of the plenum its a bigger job involving pulling it appart.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Dave398 said:
Well dont do it then. Half my mates are mechanics and it doesnt harm your engine. You get a puff of smoke with your first start then all is good (its just the carby cleaner passing through). Obviously if you want to get every bit of crap out of the plenum its a bigger job involving pulling it appart.
I've already cleaned my throttle body recently but next time I'll be removing the plenum. Sure it's a bit more work but I'd rather do it properly.
Alternatively you could do it like VT97 did - Remove just the cover then block the ports and clean away.

mistaken

... pimpin it VT stylez
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I plan on cleaning the plenum this weekend - so this thread had some awesome advice :)

sno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
im gonna clean TB this weekend.. but I dunno wat the plenum is, where it is or how to clean it??!!!??

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
sno said:
im gonna clean TB this weekend.. but I dunno wat the plenum is, where it is or how to clean it??!!!??
The plenum is the top of the engine under the engine cover. The throttle body is attached to the plenum. The throttle body is the easier and more important part to clean but you can remove just the plenum cover, block the ports and give it a clean.
Search the VR/VS forum for a "how to" someone did one a while ago. It's basically the same for the VT/VX.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
will be trying it this weekend

What bout doing the plenum chambers on a 8 does anyone know how hard it is to remove it

totality

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina wagon 5.0 litre
is it possible for anyone to post pictures on what to do for people who arent very good with cars?

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
When u guys clean ur TB's do u take the IAC valve off and clean in where it goes?
You'll be surprised at the amount of crap it holds in there. . . .

D

denizengt

Can someone tell me how to do this exactly? Are there any tutorials around online?