Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cleaning vk interior hood lining

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Hi Everyone

Wondering what is best to clean vk hoodlining its the plastic vinyl stuff ( I think ) It has some black marks like tar looking marks. I tried armour all, carpet cleaner and vinegar. Nothing worked the vinegar probably dulled them a bit but wouldnt remove. They are black marks unsure what but it looks like tar similar to what you would see on your exterior paintwork? Whats the best for removing them without damaging the surrounding material or making the colour fade.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Hi Everyone

Wondering what is best to clean vk hoodlining its the plastic vinyl stuff ( I think ) It has some black marks like tar looking marks. I tried armour all, carpet cleaner and vinegar. Nothing worked the vinegar probably dulled them a bit but wouldnt remove. They are black marks unsure what but it looks like tar similar to what you would see on your exterior paintwork? Whats the best for removing them without damaging the surrounding material or making the colour fade.
You could try Jiff,but only dab it on and NO scrubbing
Try a small section first,or even if U try it on something similar to the hood lining before.
Good Luck.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
You could try Jiff,but only dab it on and NO scrubbing
Try a small section first,or even if U try it on something similar to the hood lining before.
Good Luck.

I didnt have any jiff but good idea. I though I would give a product called bar keepers friend a plug. Its similar in consistancy to jiff. I grabbed a toothbrush and rubbed it on the stains it takes most of the stains out on the rooflining. To my disgust it left huge marks like toothpaste on my hoodlining. I quicky follwed with a wipe of vinegar and then grabbed a chux with water and wiped it all down. Its been about an hour and i shined the flashlight on the hoodlining and all looks great. Pretty happy with it.

Bar keepers friend is also pretty goood for cleaning glass. You know the white scaly water stains on shower screens you get thats what prompted me to buy this product I researched it and thought I would give it a try. If you use this on your shower every 3-6months in hard water areas your glass will look new forever. Give it a try and impress the mrs.

connors

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT Commodore VK SS Group 3
Hi Mate,

I would try some of Bowden's Own, Orange Agent. A good cleaner and safe on most surfaces. I wouldn't mind betting the black marks are either fly crap or mould.

Spray the Orange Agent and let sit for a while. Just be careful how much pressure you put on the lining when wiping the product off as some areas of the lining might be a little fragile and can tear easy.

3rdGenVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VT SS
You could try something called Einszett 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner. I used it before for other purposes and it has performed well. Their 'Surface Cleaner with Odour Eliminator' is excellent for interior dashboards etc.