Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clear coat peeling

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
you'd be better off respraying the whole panel.
the rest of the panel would just start peeling anyway.

i know how you feel
i've got clear coat that is peeling on 5 panels on my 4 year old VZ
like yours it spreads whenever it rains:bang:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Cheers for the replies. Scooter that is good advice. But just to be clear, by "top of the boot lid" do you mean the whole top side or just the top area where its peeling? Not sure if I want to do the roof if it means sanding the whole thing back :p

I mean the whole top of the boot lid. By the look of the photos the rest of the boot isn't far off. Plus you need to consider that if you do it in patches you may not get the new paint back to the level or height of the factory paint causing dips or odd looks on the finish. If it turns out good on the boot the go ahead and do the roof. With the roof sand back to where the roof starts to drop away to the four pillars and don't worry too much about the water channels along the sides. No one will see in there.

Even if you do just the boot lit you can expect it to take at least a couple of weekends. It's time consuming and messy. You might consider getting a boot lid from a wreckers or ebay so you can work on that at your own leisure and you'll still your car to drive around it.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Alright thanks for that. Hmmm bit of a pickle. I dont want the car to be off the road for a few weeks, nor do I want the peeling to spread. Possible to take a shortcut and just sand back the remaining clear, give it a few coats of paint, sand, buff, then new clear? It doesnt have to be a showcar finish. Anything is better than the 'peeling' look.

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Well thanks to HoZy's idea I have a short (or long lol) term solution!

Simply by spraying new clear over the affected areas has managed to seal it. And after driving in heavy rain today then letting it sit for a few hours, not one drop of water has managed to get under it.

The hardest part was removing all the dead edges with a small blade beforehand. Which consisted of peeling off as much as possible, then wiping over with metho and repeating until no more wanted to come off. Then I just did about 5 light coats which probably only need 2-3 but I wanted to be on the safe side. Its not even that noticeable (apart from the obvious peeling) but luckily the rest of the car hasnt been polished/waxed for a while. :p If anything its made the exposed base look a tad better too.