Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clearing computer codes which way is best?

maco_butterfly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive '93' 6
Hay all, iv got a question to do with computer codes,

now i no how to test my car for the codes and i have a list with code means example: 22-TPS etc, but i was told two diffrent things about clearing the codes.

1 if you cut off the power source ( battery) for 10 seconds or more that clears the computer of all codes in memory,

while on the other hand a mechanic friend told me:

2: disconnecting the battery will only clear the codes for the time being not it the actual memory , you must use a computer device, ( iv used one before its the size of a A4 paper ream, transmission place use them it acually connects to your computer and the it has little 'keys' that you stick into it) and chose the program ( clear codes)

Now anyone no which one is the right way of getting rid of these codes?

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
pulling the relay works!

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
yeah just pull the 20 amp engine fuse, attempt to start the car a few times, it wont start, rplace the fuse, check error codes, all will be cleared except fault code 12, which is ok.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Hay all, iv got a question to do with computer codes,

now i no how to test my car for the codes and i have a list with code means example: 22-TPS etc, but i was told two diffrent things about clearing the codes.

1 if you cut off the power source ( battery) for 10 seconds or more that clears the computer of all codes in memory,

while on the other hand a mechanic friend told me:

2: disconnecting the battery will only clear the codes for the time being not it the actual memory , you must use a computer device, ( iv used one before its the size of a A4 paper ream, transmission place use them it acually connects to your computer and the it has little 'keys' that you stick into it) and chose the program ( clear codes)

Now anyone no which one is the right way of getting rid of these codes?
method:
1. disconnect battery.
2. remove 20amp fuse.
3. use EFI LIVE V4 program and an ALDL USB cable on a laptop and use the command of clearing codes.
All work
No 3 can be found on ebay for as little as $10 (if you are the only bidder :p )

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
To take out the fuse just unbolt the the fuse panel (2 philips screws) and there will a bolt either side of the fuse behind little flaps. This is 10mm. Done.
Prob easier just disconnect the neg for 10 secs.
Oh and increase the revs to 2k for ten secs to make the idle right...this will set the IAC valve proper.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You are correct in saying that you need specific software to clear the codes out of the memory, but clearing current codes can be done by just cutting power, either by removing the engine fuse or by disconnecting the battery. The DTC's will be cleared from the memory after so many ignition cycles with no code set during that time. You can't read the codes in the memory without specific software either. The bridging pin check will only display current logged codes.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
You are correct in saying that you need specific software to clear the codes out of the memory, but clearing current codes can be done by just cutting power, either by removing the engine fuse or by disconnecting the battery. The DTC's will be cleared from the memory after so many ignition cycles with no code set during that time. You can't read the codes in the memory without specific software either. The bridging pin check will only display current logged codes.
Isn`t it 20 key starts?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Depends on the model, I'm not sure on the VS, but the VT is 50.