Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clicking sound inside interior front Console on start up

BROKKY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
I have this exact same problem in my VE SSV which I've owned for two years. Problem just started last Friday. The car has done 103,000kms but I hardly ever use the air con or heater. Not to say the previous owner did. Would this wear out as like you say, the actuators rotate every time the car is turned on? The heater still works but the noise is so annoying. I haven't been to my Holden dealer yet but if its going to be in the region of $800, I think I'll live with it for a while.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Thank you Ricey, thought as much. When you say the drivers side actuator do you mean inside the vent on the right of the steering wheel between the door or the right centre vent? I'm asking because I am not sure whether this is something I should attempt to fix myself (pull apart dash - god help) or whether I should pay a mechanic/sparky to do (financial bankruptcy)?

Thanks for all your help, can't explain how greatful I am. I have taken the car to Booran Holden many times under warranty for this issue and they never fixed it.

Sorry for the late reply.

Remove the dash trim under the steering wheel and unplug the connector behind the headlight switch.

Remove the black air ducting held on by two phillips screws and look up towards the centre of the dash.

Youll see a black actuator with a white arm coming off it with a green connector going into it.

Do a HVAC relearn and you will see the arm moving unless its completely stripped. Put a finger on it to confirm its the one clicking.

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto

Remove the dash trim under the steering wheel and unplug the connector behind the headlight switch.

Remove the black air ducting held on by two phillips screws and look up towards the centre of the dash.

Youll see a black actuator with a white arm coming off it with a green connector going into it.

Do a HVAC relearn and you will see the arm moving unless its completely stripped. Put a finger on it to confirm its the one clicking.

You absolute legend. I'm lucky I checked this again, trying to find this thread link to help someone else. Thank you so much, will get this done asap and let you know what I find. Hopefully others have the same problem.

Also general note for anyone interested; Ricey you might find this weird:
If you are having this problem and cant demist your windshield
1. (turn the car off) hold in the rear demister (square) button and turn ingition to accessories. Hold the button for around 10-15 seconds and you will hear the vents realigning, release the button
.(realigning wont fix this issue completely).
2. If you get this right, repeat the process, but this time halfway through the vents realigning themselves turn the car on and release the button. If you get it right you will have heat coming through your front demister vents but no where else. Doesnt fix the issue but you at least will be able to see.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The stripped out actuator somehow also affects the hot/cold mix actuator, sometimes after a relearn you cant get cold air etc.

Jonesy40

Reaction score
Members Ride
Voodoo VE SS UTE
The stripped out actuator somehow also affects the hot/cold mix actuator, sometimes after a relearn you cant get cold air etc.

im having this issue, replaced a stuffed actuator (divers side one) now all the vents work but it defaults to hot air and i cant change the air temp. i have manully set ti on cold for now.

does anyone have a fix?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
hey mate. make sure the stereo/hvac control face plate are definetely lmaking a solid connection

Jonesy40

Reaction score
Members Ride
Voodoo VE SS UTE
hey mate. make sure the stereo/hvac control face plate are definetely lmaking a solid connection

thanks mate have tried pulling it off and putting it back on but will try again

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto
Can you please tell me how much it cost you to get it replaced and where you had it done? I was quoted (cheapest) $790

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

Did the change today on our 09 SS, what a prick that top screw is. All working great now.

Gokz777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09.5 SV6 5sp Auto
I purchased an actuator from holden. When you did the change did you have to remove anything other than the dash trim under the steering wheel in order to replace the actuator?