Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clicking under the steering wheel/dash -VERY annoying!

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Acclaim Wgn V6 Auto
Hi all

Last few days this clicking noise under the dash has been driving me INSANE!!

Checked a few threads and it is either the indicator stalk or a relay. It sounds like a relay, the constant 'click click click'. But my question is which one and how can I isolate it while I am NOT driving? All operations on the car seem ok - the car is driving normally. But this clicking is sh**ing me off no end.

Any suggestions?

Thanks mbvp73

pancakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Equipe S2
I had something similar to a clicking noise near my steering column also, found out it was all the crap my gf buys me to put on my key chain with my keys LOL removed all crappy items problem solved.

I would be thinking it's going to be the relay or the indicator stalk canceller not working properly

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
That ticking i've had plenty of times before, my dad had it happen 3-4x on his VT, it's the indicator so i've been told.
You need to get some part replaced under that plastic covering.
It might eventually go away like it did for me, but it will come back.

BPX-31H

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 vz sv6
It's also known to be the clock spring mine does it too,

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all

Just got a quote from a Holden Dealer - $115 for an indicator stalk!! From looking at this forum it sounds like it should be $65 NEW for a genuine part from Holden! Hmm, might have to go to the wreckers. Anyone have an idea as to how much I should expect to pay at the wreckers?

helicraze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Clubsport R8
I think mine was about $80 from holden or copies off ebay for around $60

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
$80 sounds better than $115!! I might ask a couple of dealers. Also looking at wreckers - more of a gamble I know but money me not have much!

bondy717

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina Wagon
I had a clicking noise from the rear wiper relay (cause my rear wiper was jammed and not working when the wiper stalk was pushed forward to turn the rear wiper on, the rear wiper would continually click in the back ground. Only mentioning this just in case it is an easy fix.

Is the clicking ony when you are driving or any time the car is running?

Regards

Bondy

mbvp73

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Bondy717, it only seems to happen when I am driving. Never heard it at idle. Mind you, something interesting happened today. Coz it was cold as today in Melbourne, the noise went away! Maybe coz earlier in the week it was warm something is expanding and making the noise. When I put the heater on in the car the noise came back! But yeah, to answer your question, it only happen when the car is in motion.