Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Climate control not working after battery change

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
OK so changed the battery in my VF and started it up - all good except no climate control at all - the panel is completely dead, not even the fan will come on.

Tried shutting down and starting up again and no joy.

Any ideas?!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Pop the negative lead off the battery for a bit then put it back on and start the vehicle.

See if it resets it.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
OK so changed the battery in my VF and started it up - all good except no climate control at all - the panel is completely dead, not even the fan will come on.

Tried shutting down and starting up again and no joy.

Any ideas?!
That happened to my old GenF R8, battery went flat and I tried to start it with a jumper pack without enough charge. I replaced the battery and the climate control wasn't working and had no back lighting. Tried the battery disconnect overnight and didn't fix it and ended up taking the car into a dealer. I was charged for a new climate control module and programming I remember was $420. I'm not sure if they did replace the module or just reprogrammed it but the fault is either it's blown the module or dropped the program.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, had a feeling I might be up for a trip to the dealer...

That said haven't had a chance to try the battery disconnect yet,

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@wagon37, so have you tried the battery disconnect yet and did that solve your climate control issues?

If you need a new module because a battery disconnect/reconnect killed it, then I’d say the design is not durable under ACL if it can fail so easily during a normal service procedure.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah left the battery disconnected overnight and still didn't come back to life.

I installed a Century Hi-Performance DIN53LH MF

Reckon I should go for something else before getting the module replaced??

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yeah left the battery disconnected overnight and still didn't come back to life.

I installed a Century Hi-Performance DIN53LH MF

Reckon I should go for something else before getting the module replaced??

nah it wont be the battery, you could try look through the fuses to see if any are blown but by the looks of it you might need a new module.
if you have access to gds2 via a bosch mdi or a vx diag you might be able to do a reset/relearn or something.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
that is a design flaw imo, changing a battery should not cause module failure and the fact that it has happened to other people doing the same thing is further evidence to it being a problem with the design of the system.

basically a the loss of voltage and restoration of it can brick the hvac so if your battery goes flat and you have to jump start it you could be looking at $835.
this will be even worse in 5 to 10 years when it is impossible to get a replacement module.

i would suggest that if vf owners do need to change the battery then get a mechanic to do it because if the hvac module bricks during the process they are responsible for the repair costs under acl, it might cost an extra 200 bucks but you could save $635.