Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

closed threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I'm of the opinion (being an ex-mod from here) that what the message board software needs is an add-on or feature that disallows members from replying to a particular thread if they keep causing trouble in it (they can still view but not reply and if members bag that user out after they're kicked they get warnings). For the mods it is a lot easier to lock and remove a thread, especially when it's one with 10 pages and the negativity is strewn across the whole thread.. I remember wasting so much time "cleaning out" threads that other things went by unnoticed.

The main problem with the current system of locking is it seems the same kinds of threads are reappearing and ending in the same fate, and members who contributed positively to the threads are disadvantaged because the thread was locked sending out a message that if members try to resurrect the discussion then their threads will meet a similar fate.

On my message board which is running on phpbbfm (heavily modified version of phpbb, not as powerful as vbulletin but it's free) I have a feature where I can kick users from a thread if they're causing trouble.. but I have no idea of where such a feature could be found for vbulletin which is what JC runs on, or if the guys in red would consider it.. but I'm just getting it out there :p

I like this idea of Juzza's. I don't know why people can't debate a serious issue without turning it in to a brawl. If someone is unable to debate like an adult without getting all wound up and abusive then they shouldn't be allowed to post in that particular thread.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I think its inevitable that threads sway from their original purpose and turn into debates and arguments. Its how conversation works, you dont stand there talking about the same thing to mates for days on end, everything runs its course and generally the mods close it when it has run its course.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
I think its inevitable that threads sway from their original purpose and turn into debates and arguments. Its how conversation works, you dont stand there talking about the same thing to mates for days on end, everything runs its course and generally the mods close it when it has run its course.

well said
thats spot on
i hate it when ya go there and its closed but thn ya just move on to new thread and start harrassing there heheheheh

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman

I dissagree, the mods shut it down when two or three people who cant come up with anything rational to say start doing the "your mother" bit and ruin it for the rest of us who do think about our responses.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I like this idea of Juzza's. I don't know why people can't debate a serious issue without turning it in to a brawl. If someone is unable to debate like an adult without getting all wound up and abusive then they shouldn't be allowed to post in that particular thread.
Yeah great idea, cept it cant be done for one, and two who is going to go threw all the members and pick who can and cant view the 1000'z of threads...........
AirStrike :air:

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Censorship Sucks

Last edited:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
That's a very fair point, but what I was saying regarding 2 is that it wouldn't be preventative as much as it would be consequential, for example let's say we have one big religious thread and someone comes in just to ****-stir, the post gets reported and the mod/admin clicks on "kick". Now that user can no longer reply to that thread, only view it..

You're right though Dave - it's far too complex, because there would be many threads with sensitive issues and individually kicking members as they offend would get quite troublesome! I was just being optimistic is all :p You guys do a great job IMO.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
someone should remove vy_storms thread locking power

he seems to be the most prolific thread locker:bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.