Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk from diff or tranny on slow take off

vc213

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ive noticed a few times now with my 2005 SV6, when i start the car and take off slow in Drive, i hear a clunk or thud that seems to be from the Diff or Transmission or something. It doesnt happen all the time, hence why the local Holden dealership tells me im hearing things. Has anyone else experienced this?

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
For what it's worth, happens every now and agan in my VY.

helmsy

Just Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Does it happen when it is changing gear? Do you feel it too or just a noise.

Ronaldw

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CALAIS DEC 2007
Sometimes I get a clunk but I think it is the gear change because they have a very low gear change when you drive off, it is almost instant ,sometimes you hear it and sometimes you don't. It's just a lousy gear box.

tja_bot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais A4
ive got a clunk in my 2005 sv6 aswell, but im told it might be the universal joints in the irs.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
A bit of back lash in the diff is normal, mine does it as well. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. But if there's a metallic sound with the clunk, it could be a universal joint.

vc213

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Does it happen when it is changing gear? Do you feel it too or just a noise.

its when you first take off very slowly, before the needle even moves. Its comforting that others are hearing it aswell though.

squire_j

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Turismo Blue 2005 VZ Storm Panelvan
i get it in mine, taken it in to 2 different dealers on a few occasions, they keep saying that its normal. But sometimes when decelerating it would bang pretty loudly, but only on long trips.

its a kind of a clunk when drive is engaged, like you can be idling along at 40k's and when you touch the accelerator you hear it clunk as the power hits the wheels. And i'm not talking about flooring it; just normal acceleration.

It doesnt happen as often now as what it used to. i've just grown accustomed to it being one of the stuffups in my car that holden keeps saying is normal.

bomber13

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz berlina
05 vz berlina

i have a 05 vz berlinna it has done 43 thousand kms it has a clunk in either the auto trns or the diff it does it from first to secong gear i took it to the holden dealer told them about so the made unjustment to the diff but it is still clunking into 2 gear you can notice it more when you go into around about went back told them that it is still doing it but they told me they can not do any more to the car i have been in touch with gmh and the do not want to know about it so does any one eles have this problem ? and where do i go from here?:cry:
regards
bomber13