Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Clunk from rear"

kronz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute
So I own a VR Acclaim with 180 on the odo.

I have an issue where when I'm in what I've now realized is 4th gear only, I have loud and violent "clunks/thuds" from what seems to originate somewhere in the rear of the car. If I'm on the freeway at about 70 trying to speed up to 100, in 4th, I literally CAN'T get drive to the rear wheels unless I'm on like 10% throttle. Any more than that and the clunks correlate directly which how much throttle I'm giving. 1/2 throttle in 4th will result in probably 10 clunks per second. Annoying because I have to wait for a decline in the road to get anywhere. The only solution to this is going FULL throttle, which changes the car into 3rd, and I can get up to 100 no worries.

Issues are obviously it's quite scary, I feel something will just explode one day. It also likely wastes fuel, the engine is doing the combustion no worries, but it's not converted into drive to the wheels. So it's all being burnt for nothing.

I thought definitely diff, but then realized that it's strange it only happens in 4th. So maybe tranny.

Any opinions would help guys.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Sounds like the center bearing on the tail shaft