Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunk in rear of VT

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
My VT V6 Calais has recently developed a clunk which appears to be in the rear driver's side whenever I take off quickly, especially when turning left from a driveway. It also occurs when I hit a bump in my driveway (dirt). It sounds as if someone is hitting the rear passenger floor under these circumstances. I had a mate drive over the bump and it appeared to come from the rear wheel area. My mechanic can't track it down as everything seemed tight when he has it up on the hoist. Any ideas guys??

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Tie rod end, or some sort of suspension/steering component. There's the top of the strut tower assembly that is prone to problems also.

Take it in for a $14 Pedders safety check and tell them to GTFO if they tell you that your power steering rack is leaking. Or find a mate who knows how to check these things properly, your mechanic really isn't the best bet here.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Ignore that, I didn't see the rear bit.

Change my guess to driveshaft, joints on the DS, maybe something loose where the shockers are.

Pedders is still a good option.

Vtwagoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hmmm, i get the same problem... It happens with me when I boot it and the vehicle is turning, its very discouraging to give the car a bit of stick hearing a huge dong/k at the rear haha...

SLAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Ignore that, I didn't see the rear bit.

Change my guess to driveshaft, joints on the DS, maybe something loose where the shockers are.

Pedders is still a good option.

I must say I did wonder Shounak, but thanks for your advice on the other aspects. Good idea.

dazza33

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Wagon
I was getting a noise from what i thought was the rear of my wagon when i took off quick. Turned out to be a collapsed engine mount on the drivers side. The trans had dropped onto the cross mount, i would also get a little vibration as well as the noise though. But I could swear it was coming from the rear though! Sound travels i guess!

Cheers, Daz.

azman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais S/C
Hey dude, I had the same thing. Turned out to be the Handbrake...

On the commodores, the handbrake bushes are setup with a scissor spring type contraption that can become lose or bent as such. When this happens the end of the spring can catch and give you a god awful intermittent knock, that will, come and go and feel like your diff or drive shaft.

Try this to test:
Next time your car starts knocking, stop the car. Pull the handbrake on, and put it in drive, then reverse, then drive a few time. Put only a tiny bit of pressure on through the accelerator.
Drive off and see if it continues.

Apparently this problem is caused if the handbrake is applied while the car is moving, or if you try to accelerate with the handbrake on. These actions stretch the spring and cause it to sit incorrectly.

Your looking at around $200 to $250 to have it replaced... Good mechanics should check these when doing brakes.

I had this problem a year ago, and again a few months ago. I only got it checked the second time a few months ago and after being told the above, haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.

PM if any questions.

cheers ... Az.