Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clunk/noise in front left wheel of vs

vsplook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Vacationer
gidday,

I appologise first up if this has been posted already- i couldnt find it if so.

I have a bit of an issue with my vs vacationer. its not really a problem at the moment but may become one later. There is a clunk noise when the car goes over a bump or turns too sharply into a corner from the left front wheel. i'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or can shed light on it. Does something need to be fixed/replaced/changed/upgraded ect.

Other than that she appears to be perfect (touch wood). She has 141000 kms on her (i've had her since 51k km). like i said, other than that she's fine. the noise has become a bit, well, worrying when driving up and down mountain passes, or increasingly in the city.

Cheers!

Plook

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
very simple answer for you mate - sway bar link pin bushes - they're stuffed (or non-exisitent) and thats causing the link to clunk about in the conditions you mentioned.
its a extremely common thing for commodores, i have to replace mine every couple of months because my car is lowered and the bushes perish even quicker.

vsplook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Vacationer
i had a look this morning, and the link is bent and the rubber stopper and metal washer are wobbling down on the stabiliser bar.

just wondering, what is the usual cost of the parts to repair this? do you have to do both sides (the pair) or just replace the one thats broken? are the parts readily available (like at supercheap or repco) or do i have to order it from holden?

according to the look of the tyre, it seems i should have done something about this a long while ago! the inside tread is gone (fine on the outside, bald on the inside, like it's badly out of alignment) so it looks like a new tyre as well.

cheers!

p

skootaroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS wagon
You might also want to have a closer look at your radius rod bushes. This is the bar that holds your front wheel in the fore/aft direction, it sits inside and to the front of your front wheels.
Swaybar link kits are avaliable everywhere, even ebay!

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
What a coincident!!! Mine just broke off yesterday on the left!!!!
How much will it cost to do both sides??

greenness

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Vs 3.8L Wagon
and to think i was about to post the same question... i hate that noise *makes angry face* lol thanks for the info

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
its not too expensive, as i said i need to replace mine every couple of months. i cant recall exact amounts because i hardly bother looking at my bill anymore, but its usually around $80 to replace the bushes....also ive got heavy duty link pins as the stock ones are too thin i think, they also have a bend to them so there is less force put on the bushes than the straight stock ones. i got these heavy duty ones after bending the stock link pins while my car was on the dyno - well worth it and they're were only like $40 or so.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
ii'ld say the tire wear on the inside edges is from something other then the link pin bushes. wheel alignment is the obvious thought when was the last time you had it done. Obviously worn suspension will also cause the alignment problem/ tire wear.

Kingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
HaHa, I have this exact same problem.
Sway bar link pin is bent at the top, and the bush from the top is rattling around at the bottom of the pin.
On the LEFT side :)

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
You could get keen and waste ur money on this stupid looking contraption. This does away with the link pin completly.....