Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clunking/knocking noise

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
Hi,

I have a problem with my sedan which is driving me nuts.

When i drive over uneven surfaces there is a knock sound. i cant tell which end it coming from.

I can reliably make the noise occur if i: turn right into my driveway over the kerb, both front wheels go over no worries, as soon as the back drivers side wheel hits the kerb it knocks. everytime.

I replaced the following since the noise started:

All 4 shocks
Front and rear swaybars and bushes.
Front strut tops and bearings
Front Z-Bar bushes (all 4)
Both front swaybar links

The only other thing im thinking is im pretty sure it may have started when i replaced the brake discs with DBAs and new pads. But ive checked them and they seem fine, cant see how it would be related..

Any ideas??

vysute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 Utility 2004
hmm i would have said suspension problems myself, i can't really be sure tho, take it to a mechanic i suppose let them diagnose then just repair it urself ;)

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
my vy calais S/cV6 sedan used to knock a bit. It was the exhaust hitting on the body near the diff area , & also the rear muffler hitting on the upper surface where the rear rubber mounts are for it. If you have access to a hoist you can check the exhaust to body clearances.
Also if you have a LSD diff they can clunk a bit on turns sometimes.
good luck ,

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
actually that may be something to look at, because i replaced the extractors. thanks will look at that

unregistered

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY V6 S2
found out what it was, i checked the exhaust to see it was hitting but it all cleared. So went went back to the front end and pulled the link pins out, which were pretty much brand new nolathane evolution ones with the two ball joints at either end. found one had the smallest bit of play in it, maybe .25mm. so i replaced with standard type super-pro pins. noise gone.

nolathane = bad