Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunking noise

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Hi all,

Noticed today my car is making a clunking noise when running even when warm. Not coming from under the bonnet but under the car kind of on the passenger side. Any ideas? Car is running fine but the noise is annoying when sitting at lights etc

Cheers

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
No mate only at a stop. Its not coming from the motor its under the car from the exhaust area.

From what i remember from when i first joined this forum and noticed a similar noise to what your describing it sounds like worn bushes. Is it a metalic sounding clunk?

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
From what i remember from when i first joined this forum and noticed a similar noise to what your describing it sounds like worn bushes. Is it a metalic sounding clunk?

Thanks for your reply mate. Hmm kind of sounds like having a steel plate and knocking it with a bit of wood if that makes sense. Could u please tell me what bushes do? and how much to replace them?

Thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
From what i know (or remember reading) they are not that expensive but i think the cost is in the labour, can't remember the exact cost but it was around the $150 to $200 all up (i think).
Bushes are a tough plactic material, polyurothane i think they are, and they sit somewhere in the suspension/stearing system.
I get that odd metal hitting wood sound when i'm taking off on a hill or braking on a hill.

Try doing a search on this site for bushes and metalic knock or something similar.

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Thanks for taking the time to reply mate. I will check it out. :)

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI

How can the bushes make a clunking sound when the car isnt even in motion? this would only surface if you where actually driving it!

Thanks for your reply mate. Hmm kind of sounds like having a steel plate and knocking it with a bit of wood if that makes sense. Could u please tell me what bushes do? and how much to replace them?

Thanks

Have you checked the brackets that hold the exhuast system? it could be this will the car is idling or a loose bolt in the same area!

bundy_boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2
farked bushes will only make noise when low speed cornering so i doubt very much it would be that, it would have to be something loose somewhere just to be heard when idling

Jack up the car and check the area you think its coming from first.

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Thanks i will jack the car up and take a look.

Cheers fellas.