Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clunky VT Trans?

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
my vs does the same, but ONLY the 2nd-3rd upshift. As it changes, the revs stay the same (as in 2nd before it changed) and the entire car jolts, as though half the car moves one way, then the front end catches up or something. Then the revs drop and it continues to accelerate.... but every other up/down shift is fine and there's no flaring at all between shifts (free revving etc).

the only other thought i have is there is a vibration at idle stopped (worse in drive than neutral sitting at lights etc)... so could it be a engine/tranny mount???

ruggj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec 01
if ive stopped accelerating say to brake for traffic lights or something, unless i get to a complete stop ill always hear a clunking noise, doesnt really do it off the line though, only if ive stopped accelerating? is that normal, cars done about 215000 its a VX exec

Maddog0077

First Time holden Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Excec series II
mine does this to, mainly only the change between 1st & 2nd, rest are pretty smooth. some times i can hear a faint kinda ringing whine noise too before the shift. mine doesnt like feathering the throttle much in traffic either.

Callie6lt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT 5LT CALAIS
yeah my calais does the same clunking noises on every shift its not broken yet so!!! its on 90,000 at the moment

helicraze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II Clubsport R8
My VT 2 clubsport does it, now i had the diff rebuilt (ratio change) it did not affect the clunkyness. I checked backlash by turning the diff flange by hand and it does not turn much.

Just had my auto rebuilt picking the car up on Monday so i will see if that makes a difference.

Its sounds like that the clunkyness is common for VT, the VX on with rubber coupling for the diff flange to tailshaft is meant to be smoother.

sedgewik

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s1 dunnydoor
engine and trans mounts smoothed mine out with 120k