Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cluster instrument fault

chris1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina v6
Hi guys i've just bought a '04 vz Berlina v6 and noticed that the readouts of the inst.fuel,aver.kms digital display keep coming on and off all the time,is this normal or are they supposed to stay on all the time and if so how can you rectify this problem,apart from annoying me they seem to work fine and all info seems to be ok .Just to be clear i'm talking about the Temp.and Fuel digital half of the gauges,not the central one,thanks

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Not normal.
My Berlina cluster don"t do it.
Pull out the cluster and check harness plug.

Last edited:

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Check harness or left/right screens could be faulty.

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom WL Caprice 5.7 V8
I had a similar issue in my WL Caprice (VZ range) a while back. I got a message coming up saying "fuel gauge error " and the temp gauge and the fuel gauge would also drop out intermitently for no reason. The car also ran a little worse from time to time but not majorly bad.

Anyway, against my better judgement I took it to a Holden dealership thinking they'd be able to pick it using the Tech 2 but the desk monkey there ended up telling me it was the PCM (Powertrain COntrol Module) that was knackered and would I please give him $1700 to replace it.

So I told said desk monkey to shove it as I didn't believe it was that and finally took it to an independent joint and they said 'more than likely the leads and plugs'. I thought that sounded a bit strange as it wasn't really a driving issue, just a gauge issue but seeing as though it was due for leads and plugs I said OK do it. As soon as they were replaced, everything went back to normal and no gauge shenanigans ever again!

So I'm not saying your problem is leads and plugs but I had similar symptoms to you and that's what fixed my problems immediately. Might be worth a shot?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
the v6's dont have leads, the coil is directly on top of the plug

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom WL Caprice 5.7 V8
Ahh sorry I wasn't up to date with the V6 side of things (who drives them anyway? ;) ) In my case it was the LS1 but maybe he's worth checking the plugs and coils/connections etc anyway. Just a suggestion.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
your not getting confused with having the digital speed reading? when speed is displayed, nothing is displayed in the side windows

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
your not getting confused with having the digital speed reading? when speed is displayed, nothing is displayed in the side windows

Thats wat i was thinking, when u cycle through the modes, only the centre lcd is displayed when the digital speedo is active:thumbsup: