Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutch grabbing at different points in pedal travel

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
Hi team,

Whenever i get excited and decide to give the clubby a bit of throttle and then go to change gears at high RPM, the clutch seems to grab at a very low point i.e. the clutch pedal is almost all the way in and sticks a few cm's from clutch pedal pushed all the way in. It feels like the clutch is still kind of sticking as well? When i drive the car like a normal person, the clutch grabs at a very high point, almost at the top of the clutch pedal travel.

Anyone have any idea as to what is causing the clutch to grab at different points at high RPM? Makes the car a little hard to drive when you're giving her the boot as the point of the clutch grabbing catches you out.

Hope that makes sense? Thanks in advance!

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
yes it makes sense
for a clutch itself to start sticking

first check if you have either
a clutch master fault or a slave problem

next
clutch face got too hot - the flywheel may be heat glazed
is there a burning smell

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
What model Clubsport?

There was a common fault in L98 engined Commodores and LS2 engined HSVs where the clutch pedal wouldn't return (and therefore the clutch would slip) whenever the car was driven in anger.

There was a revised clutch fitted to later (2009 on) models, and retrofitted to some earlier cars displaying symptoms, which was basically the LS7 clutch & flywheel, but I believe this conversion requires the pedal box to be changed as well due to different pedal ratios?

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
yes it makes sense
for a clutch itself to start sticking

first check if you have either
a clutch master fault or a slave problem

next
clutch face got too hot - the flywheel may be heat glazed
is there a burning smell

How do I go about checking If I have either clutch master fault or slave problem? Sorry I'm no mechanic but can follow a set of instructions to diagnose a problem.

Nope no burning smell. the cabin does get very hot inside though, with what i believe to be heat coming from the gearbox/clutch area.

One thing to note is that the sticky clutch issue ALWAYS happens regardless of the temp of the car or how long i have been driving it for. Tramp the throttle, change gears and the clutch is going to grab n stick at a different point.

INMYHSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Clubsport
What model Clubsport?

There was a common fault in L98 engined Commodores and LS2 engined HSVs where the clutch pedal wouldn't return (and therefore the clutch would slip) whenever the car was driven in anger.

There was a revised clutch fitted to later (2009 on) models, and retrofitted to some earlier cars displaying symptoms, which was basically the LS7 clutch & flywheel, but I believe this conversion requires the pedal box to be changed as well due to different pedal ratios?

It's a VT s2 clubby. I wish i had the budget to afford a newer model HSV.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
How do I go about checking If I have either clutch master fault or slave problem? Sorry I'm no mechanic but can follow a set of instructions to diagnose a problem.
Nope no burning smell. the cabin does get very hot inside though, with what i believe to be heat coming from the gearbox/clutch area.

this is only the first check to sorting your sticky pedal . if the system is working and no leaks .. there are other problems

how a clutch works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BaECAbapRg

something basic about the clutch system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oggi9_LJ2n8

this is a basic clutch hydraulic system the Ls1 . was .all I could find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b28CahjQd48

Last edited: