Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

clutch plate help

aussie_cruzin

got boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV Ute
my mate came over and had a look at my clutch plate since my new motor is going in soon and he said it's buggered and i have no clue what's a good brand for clutch plate's or if i should get a heavy duty one or any other type

Any help is good..its just a 5 litre with 3.9diff gears so nothing special but would it be better to get heavy duty one cos of the diff gears or it doesn't matter?

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Hi mate,

The diff gears won't change anything, but generally you buy a clutch as a full kit, with disc, throwout bearing, and clutch cover. For a full std kit you're looking at $305, whilst a heavy duty is $400. You can buy the clutch disc separately, but the way Exedy price it's really not worth getting it on it's own.

Regards,
Greg

aussie_cruzin

got boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV Ute
Hi mate,

The diff gears won't change anything, but generally you buy a clutch as a full kit, with disc, throwout bearing, and clutch cover. For a full std kit you're looking at $305, whilst a heavy duty is $400. You can buy the clutch disc separately, but the way Exedy price it's really not worth getting it on it's own.

Regards,
Greg

ohk then i guess i will just get the kit then its not 2 expensive

would the heavy duty one be worth getting?or will it make the driving ****?

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
The heavy duty generally just use the same disc with an uprated pressure plate. Generally the difference is pretty minimal...

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
When i was shopping around for a new clutch for my VN 5L I was told not to go with the HD because the firewall is weak where the outer cable ends, and the extra force exerted by the HD clutch on the cable can cause damage there.

aussie_cruzin

got boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV Ute
ohk thx guys for the info i wont bother with the heavy duty

FusionX

Reaction score
Only issue you will have when going to a heavy duty is if you dump the clutch... Then the internal's will be in a whole world of pain. T5's don't like abuse, with a standard clutch is allows a bit of slip to avoid shock loading everything.