Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 42 engine misfired then stopped

states94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
My 5.0L was running fine while on a trip when the tacho started to jump around, I pulled up and got a code 42 from a self diagnosis on the dash,(ignition bypass circuit) the car was still running at this stage so I did a U turn and headed home only to get down the road before it totally shut down.
After being towed home I replaced the plug leads with a new set,
Replaced spark plugs,
Cleaned the contacts in dizzy cap,
Cleaned contacts on rotor button,
Removed coil and had it tested,
After this I thought the problem was the ignition module and was told this by phone from a Holden dealer. I have since fitted a new module and after charging battery (Car had been sitting for 6 weeks) it started I took it for a short drive then parked it. Problem solved (I thought).:bang: Car then failed to re start. I then put the car back onto the battery charger and after around 30 mins on charger I tried again. This is the only way that it will start and after running for a few minutes the engine starts to misfire then stall.
I am thinking that maybee the coil is stuffed but good enough to work when battery is full of kick. The voltage readout on dash in diagnostic mode is around 14.3 volts.

Any ideas would be grateful.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if its a dud coil then it will make a pop sound before the engine stalls, does it go into limp home mode before it stops????

states94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
if limp mode is not being able to rev then yes, but no pop sound is noticeable.

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
im assuming your engine was running when you got the 14.3 volts reading? (that's about what your alternator puts out) the battery voltage should be 12-13 volts, temporarily higher imeddiately after charging. If you suspect your battery, it shouldn't be too hard to get it tested for free, preferably they will charge it overnight, let it rest and then test it the next day. I fyou suspect your battery, though,i would borrow a mates battery to see how it goes with that first

states94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
I have replaced the coil and fixed up the wiring to the coil, (was a bit cracked, brittle) have not had a problem since. Coil cost $55:yeah:

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Once the battery dies or is about to, the engine will go out in sympathy when voltage drops past a certain point, many things are blamed when all it was is a stuffed battery, just make sure it's showing a charge of 14.1V - 14.6V when running tested at the battery.

Likely a RS voltage regulator and or stuffed battery and it's running off the alternator.