Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

codes P0016 and P0018

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
done the timing chains etc on my vz alloytec and desludged the engine(major job) ...everything was fine for a couple of months after but now its throwing those 2 codes at the same time.....clear them and back they come together....but no other code.....swapped one of the cam sensor over and nothing changed.
Motor starts fine runs fine and runs well at any rev range but chucks up the check powertrain warning.
The variable cam sprockets were really sludged up but I just cleaned the outside and put them back on... the actuators were really sludged up ....the screens were covered big time to the point I didnt even know they were screens and I bathed them in heavy duty degreaser and they cleaned up well like brand new.
I am sure I got all the marks right on the chains/sprockets and took pictures to confirm it before I put the timing cover back on.
Any ideas?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I just had my timing chain done yesterday. Ran sooth yesterday but is starting to run rough again, unstable idle. New coils, plugs, cleaned engine.
Expecting to see these two codes again soon.

Could the ECM be worth a look?
With the help of @EnviousCustoms it could be a cheap solution?

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
Im having the same issues and replacing the ECM has come up as a possible fix. If you've already pumped cash into fixing it, it might be worth a shot.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Im having the same issues and replacing the ECM has come up as a possible fix. If you've already pumped cash into fixing it, it might be worth a shot.

Gets it reference from the crank angle....engine runs fine but is a common source ...it has the sludge treatment too ...didn't get to actually clean it but there was plenty of degreaser floating around when I was degreasing things
Also has anyone pulled the cam drives apart before?
Funny thing it never threw any codes with the engine fully sludged and oil straing to get through the pickup screen chains rattling at times but now with everything clean and new up they come.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
what was the price of the chains worth