Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coil location?

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Where is the coil located on a 5 litre? My car refuses to start when hot, and a mechanic suggested the coil may be rooted. What is the best type of coil to replace it with and where would be the best place to mount it?

Cheers

[EDIT : Speeeeeling]

ssn8r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS Supercharged
usually it is behind engine near or under the dizzy (distributor) that is factory,

good place to relocate it is hear the ac tank, but better to keep the lead shorter so relocate to the closes fuel rail bolt usually the driver side one near the fuel reg..quick fix

ElDubya

Mad As A Meataxe
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Commodore V6
Cheers. I bet it's an absolute bitch to get to as well :(

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
I recently changed mine, and to be honest it wasn't that hard, I don't know why people complain about it. Just make sure you take your engine covers off and move the fuel hoses out of the way. It also helps it you have a torch which you can shove somewhere to shine some light on it, it only took me about 15 minutes to remove mine. I've heard the MSD SS coils are a pretty good way to go, and provide a bit more spark over the stock ones. I picked up a Blaster SS coil for $115 and fitted it myself with no problems.

SENNY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator LS1
I heard its annoying to try and re locate it because you have to lean over the engine to do it. but i might do mine this weekend:)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
mount it on the firewall, away from vibration and direct heat source of the engine

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mount it on the firewall, away from vibration and direct heat source of the engine

+1 to that location. but as i mentioned in previous thread about this, they buzz like a swarm of bees (mallory blaster) so bear that in mind. i dont mind the noise, cos it adds to the frikken fuel pump, thermos and cam lope.

basically you can forget about clarity of music in my car lol.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
+1 to that location. but as i mentioned in previous thread about this, they buzz like a swarm of bees (mallory blaster) so bear that in mind. i dont mind the noise, cos it adds to the frikken fuel pump, thermos and cam lope.

basically you can forget about clarity of music in my car lol.

do they interfere with the sound/power, or do you just have to crank it to hear over the blaster?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
do they interfere with the sound/power, or do you just have to crank it to hear over the blaster?

wellllll lol. i kinda found the answer to the buzzing noise. i recently found out that my coil wire had burned completely through the core. itd basically turned it to glass. when i replaced that lead, the buzzing stopped.

go figure hey?

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
just ordered a blaster 3, what's the go with the lead, the stock coil to dissy lead won't be long enough to mount it very far from the dissy, can you just use any HT lead of good thickness?