Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coil pack caught fire

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Hi guys, as the title states my cyl 2 Coil pack caught fire while driving. Had to call 000 as i was **** scared! Anyway had racv come out after and the guy told me it was a manafactioning fault from holden which they rectified on the ve models. He unplugged that unit is i can poodle it back home on 5 cyls. He also said i just need to replace that single coil as they are separate, one per cyl. What am i looking at to get this fixed, 1 coil + labour? No other damage was done to rest of the engine or wiring. Ecu has put trans fault on screenbut im guessing its because that lead is is disconnected?

Not sure if i can attempt this myself or how difficult its to do?

Any help would be appreciated.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
It's 1 10mm bolt that holds the coil on, but you need to remove or lift the intake manifold. Prefer removing the lower intake rather than the upper that way you don't have to replace any gaskets

The_Monk

[DFCTVE]
Reaction score
Website
www.teamdefecticon.com
Members Ride
VR Calais/Vr Stato/80 Series Cruiser
The fire is not caused by it being a vz coil, there was a very short run with faults in series 1 VZs but all they did was die.

Normally if the coil catches fire its because some muppet left a spark plug loose.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Thank for that information guys.
Is it a big process to remove the intake to gain access to the plugs? What is the likelyhood of damage being done from that fault? Will the trans fault disappear after its repaired or will the error need to be removed by a tech? What cost are involved?

Luke52

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VZ Acclaim wagon.
Hey mate, come see me if you want a new coil.

It's not a big process to remove the manifold, just annoying I guess. Although is cylinder #2 at the front or back of the engine? You might be able to get to it without removing the manifold if it's at the back.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
It's not that difficult to fit the new coil yourself...

You will need to undo the manifold and you can then chock it up with a bit of wood or something to give yourself access to the coils...

Attached is a guide that will give you step by step instructions on how to remove the manifold...

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/W.../C0A8/D240/2EA6/ALLOYTEC_MI_INSTALLATION_.pdf

Note that in step 14 - there will be no bolt in the bottom right location, instead the last bolt can be found at the back left of the manifold... As I mentioned above instead of removing the whole manifold just loosen it and chock up with something. This will be it a lot easier to refit.

Pretty shocking to hear that the coil pack caught fire... good to hear everything is ok.

Deepo1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Cylinder 2 is the first one closest to the front of the car on the passenger side ...all v6 Vz's firing order are 1-3-5 ( drivers side ) 2-4-6 ( passenger side ) starting from front of the engine ( front of car ) , if u gonna replace coil pack u might wanna check the spark plug on that cylinder or just replace it while your in that area ...

[Linkin Park]

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'04 VZ Executive, '98 EL Falcon, '95 NF Fairlane
it didn't happen to be a tridon branded coil that caught fire? Part number(tic276)