Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coilovers

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
i have a ve sitting on sssl's (new shocks to) i am not happy with the way it rides / handles / sits ... now i have gotten some info on coil overs and just had a few questions ...

1)Does anyone know what the pedders coil overs are like / are they as good as they say they are

2)Does anyone know anything about XYZ coilovers

3)Does anyone know anything about the tein coilovers

4)Is the $1000 price difference between tein coilvers and the xyz justified

5)If i do coilovers is it still worth doing sway bars (was considering adjustable)

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The price difference is definitely justified - that extra $1000 is so they don't snap.

What shocks are you running? What don't you like about the ride/handling

Pedders XAs are a decent entry-level 'coilover' - but you can get a better-performing set-up for the money.

Teins are softer sprung but damped harder

Definitely worth still upgrading the sway bars.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
XYZ's you might as well use no springs at all. They are the definition of ****, I had them on my car for 2 hours then pulled out.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
VCM are currently doing a special on their Bilstein and H&R Coil over combo, fitted with wheel alignment, $1985.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Autotechnique - VCM Suite - VCM Performance - Harrop - Process West

Street Performance Coil Overs - Bilstein Monotube—Suit VE Commodore

Height adjustable to 10mm - 60mm on average
Fine tune lowering to what you want

H&R Street Performance Coil Overs are the perfect suspension solution for discerning drivers—from daily drivers to serious tuners—who can appreciate the awesome handling and superb ride comfort.

Each coil over shock is custom valved to work in conjunction with a precision-engineered progressive rate spring, creating a finely tuned suspension system.

The fully threaded shock body allows for adjustable vehicle height. This feature helps balance vehicle weight, resulting in a lower centre of gravity and improved performance and control. Rebound & compression adjustment is via an internal self adjusting system.

Fitted & Aligned $1,985.00

German Made || Serviced Locally || 5 Year Manufacturer Warranty

There ya go.

psi_72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Gen3 Wagon
I seen this thread whilst looking up xyz coilovers as it comes up third on google when searched and had to comment even though its an old thread!

I really dont understand why people come up with crap like you pay the extra $1000 so they dont snap and people saying there 'the definition of junk' lol.

Ive got these in my VY wagon and had them in 2 of my daily drivers (imports) with nothing but good things to say about them. They handle amazingly and have never had a problem with them the 4 odd years ive been using them.

Ive also had a lot of other brands of coilovers in my imports and none of them compared to these!

I get my XYZ's from Performance Suspension on Brisbane rd in Labrador as they are the importer of them and they give out a full 2 year warranty on them so i dont know why people are so concerned. They even let me change the spring rates in them to better suit what i wanted to do with them! Awesome service from people that have been in the industry for years and have come across a lot of bad products.

If you do a little bit of research these are huge in Europe!

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I had to have my say for these people as they sell a great product with awesome service!

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
i'm another one doing a bit of a thread dig, but i just wanted to put my 2c up.. i've got no coilovers, but koni yellow (fully adj) shocks, and kings (want to turf them for some lovells, in time) and its great, did swaybars too, and yeah, brilliant.

To coilovers.. honestly i've heard nothing but bad things about XYZ coilovers from everyone except this guy. ^^^

However, i've been in a car with a set of ~$3000 coilovers (one of the top jap brands, not Teins though, can find out what brand if anyone wants) this particular car is completely standard besides these coilovers, no new swaybars, nor anything else, and it handles like an absolute boss, he comes into round-abouts at speeds i'd surely expect to end up backwards or something, then he glides round like its absolutely nothing. (non turbo r33, fully stock besides the coils, oh and a hell of a body kit, if you think that's going to help LOL) I really need to get in a car with some XYZ coils, or D2 or such so i can compare them to my mates coil overs, but im confident there will be a big difference (the two left hand side coils on the r33 are a bit flogged out too, and its still as good or even better then my vn in any type of situation, so it really says something.. i imagine a flogged out coil of xyz or d2 etc will be useless)

I looked into getting coils myself a while back, and strongly decided AGAINST brands like XYZ and such, i've read many bad things about them to the point of people saying they're made with particular parts of a poor quality, which (if i recall correctly) will warp under head and can be a major safety issue.

By all means, if someone feels confident spending $800-1000 on a full set of coilovers, and driving on them, be my guest. please keep in mind, you're buying a FULL set of coilovers for less then people will pay for a set of front+rear Koni adj shocks alone.. if you really feel its safe, go for it. but at the end of the day this needs to be thought about thoroughly, I feel these kinds of things are a big safety issue. if someone had a set of xyz coilovers in their car, driving towards me, one snapped and had a head on with me or something, by god there would be hell to pay. i would NEVER cheap out on suspension or brakes upon upgrading, its not worth the risk for yourself, or others on the road.

also the $1000 difference between Tein and the other brands is DEFINITELY justified. you will get a FAR better coil over no two ways about it. one could still step up to say, superdrifts, i'm pretty sure they're generally over 2500.. realistically i cannot understand how one see's it okay to buy 800 dollar coil overs :/