Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Induction for 2005 175 Executive

Crabito

Reaction score
Website
s4.invisionfree.com
Members Ride
VE SS 2009 V8
Does any body know if its possible to give the VZ 175 executive a cold air induction kit ( I think the SV6 has one )

How much and how do I go about it
Your help greatly appreciated

CHDSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Crabito,
I have just had this one installed on my SV6 190 Alloytec, but the mounts are exactally the same for the 175. The factory airbox comes out, and the new intake cowl gets screwed to the front crossmember - to the side of the radiator (have to drill 3 holes there) You can see the "old" bolt left over from where the factory airbox came out in the top right of the image below.

This one is by SS Inductions, cost me $539 from Autobarn. I have noticed a definate increase in throttle response, low-end torque and overall power. It makes a very subtle whistle on light acceleration, and as they claim, does "growl" when you give it the beans. Install time was about 30 mins with a metric rachet set and a couple of screwdrivers. The instructions in the kit are fairly easy to follow.

21112007473.jpg

Crabito

Reaction score
Website
s4.invisionfree.com
Members Ride
VE SS 2009 V8
Sweet
I will defiantly get one now I know it can be done
also i will grab a K&N air filter too :)
Thanks for the PIC
really appreciate it

CHDSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
hey mate, don't waste youre money on a SS reductions kit they aren't as good as people say. Do this 2nd hole mod it is great,better than the 500 odd dollar ss kit, it gets good results including sound, all the v8 boys do it and its applicable on your VZ. Best of all it costs below 5 dollars.

http://swingtan.customer.netspace.net.au/2hole.html

CHDSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
That's a fair call I suppose. I should point out that I did the 2 hole mod to my factory airbox a few weeks ago after coming across the walkthrough posted here on JC. I accept that the $500 ~ $600 is a lot of cash for some bits of plastic and a new air filter if you want the SS Inductions system and the 2 hole is MUCH better value for money.

However,
The intake on the SS Inductions is about the size of the back of the headlight - still far bigger then could really be achieved by drilling a 90mm hole in your factory part. Couple that with the high capacity filter included and I still believe it is better than the 2 hole mod. Can't notice much difference under foot to the 2 hole mod, but my fuel economy is already showing improvements. I'm having a dyno tune in the next few months , so we'll see how the numbers stack up (if at all). Not looking to start an argument with you QuIcKsV6, we're all entitled to an opinion, just try not to discredit someone elses findings mate.

By the way, I have my old box & filter (complete with 90mm hole cut) if someone is interested. Done 35,000K's, so in good nick.

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
yeah no worries mate, point taken. I'd had a few beers when i wrote that so i didn't really think it through, i wasn't meaning to dis you for getting the ss kit, i've never had one on my car i'm just going from what alot of people say and on my opinions from the 2nd hole mod that i have on my car.:)

CHDSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
No worries, turns out we probably gave Crabito more info than he had bargained for!

Crabito

Reaction score
Website
s4.invisionfree.com
Members Ride
VE SS 2009 V8
No worries, turns out we probably gave Crabito more info than he had bargained for!

Not a problem
The second hole mod looks like a good idea and good on the pocket Quicksv6 but ... I am hopless when it comes to drillin ect. Ill put some pennies away and get a growler or somethng similar fitted

Thank you for the responce though
:thumbsup:

Aggro_VE

The Overseer
Reaction score
Members Ride
A lazy VE
GO one better... OTR!! oh yeah :yeah: