Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Air Intakes

FROGi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec
Does the SS induction kit include a new filter? i.e. pod filter?

Z

Z()LTAN

Heat sheilding

hey got a new ss inductions kit for my VS with a k&N filter, ive fitted it and thought to myself it could b better so ive devised a new heatsheilding technique firstly the ss inductor unit(pic 1)

now it sits ontop of the radiator and it actually gets rather warm so what i did is took it off and got alfoil and some spray on adhesive and stuck 2 layers onto it and made a heat shild that wont b seen, between the inductor unit and the top of the radiator(pic2)

i also did a bit on the airbox too(pic3)

the adhesive woked well, used a paintbrush to flaten the alfoil down onto the inductor(pic4)

very easy and effective, u can ever go a step further and do the whole unit and then paint it black again and then put the stikers back on

Attachments

• ss inductor.jpg
    ss inductor.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 194
  • under heat sheild.jpg
    under heat sheild.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 190
  • airbox heatsheild.jpg
    airbox heatsheild.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 181
  • spraygrip.jpg
    spraygrip.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 143
Z

Z()LTAN

here it is installed see u cant see any alfoil... but its all there :)

Attachments

• Inductor installed.jpg
    Inductor installed.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 245
C

CAMBZ

just the K&N filter is 130$, I bought 1 n put it in my VS EX Police car, paired with the extractors took half a second off over the eigth mile at ballarat.

N

Night

getting back to wraping your extractors in thermal wrap, I've been told that they cause your extractors to overheat cause they don't allow the heat to escape thus shortening the life of your extractors. As we know steel tends to deform when over heated. Race cars normally use it but they change their manifolds every race. Wouldn't it be better to fit some sort bonnet scoop to get the hot air out (plus some of them look pretty tough)

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
ive ordered my CAI from eBay . (hope its the right one for my VR Ute)

jsut wondering how i mount it. as it looks like i have some sorta cover in the front
2179154_115_full.jpg

would i just have to unscrew it and put in the CAI. then cut the hole in the airbox etc etc.

anything else i should know?

Last edited:
B

blofly

Night said:
getting back to wraping your extractors in thermal wrap, I've been told that they cause your extractors to overheat cause they don't allow the heat to escape thus shortening the life of your extractors. As we know steel tends to deform when over heated. Race cars normally use it but they change their manifolds every race. Wouldn't it be better to fit some sort bonnet scoop to get the hot air out (plus some of them look pretty tough)

well a hole in the bonnet can be illegal because it weakens the bonnets structure, not sure about the monaro style ones though :confused:
with the heat wrap on the extractors, it is safe to do so because in our street driven commodores we are not running at max RPM all the time and so the extractors don't ever get so hot, also the hottest point is where all individual pipes merge at the collector flange, if you have ever seen a speedway engine you will notice that the pipes are wrapped in header wrap but they leave the flanges/collectors unwrapped, by keeping the headers nice and hot you maintain more gas velocity and the whole exhaust system works fantastic, it isn't so much a gas flow thing in our commodores, more of a reduced under bonnet temps thing for cooler air intake :thumbsup:

StatOmaN

Custom Title
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Statesman
PerceptionTwin....it just fits in, c at the bottom of your pic, the top of the radiator, just line up the cai and the bit of plastic and mark it, then drill it to fit the rivits....oh and be careful not to drill into your radiator.

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
yeah ive since been informed it sits on top of that plastic bit.

and been told many times to be carefull not to drill into the radiator.. hehe
but thanks