Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold Start BackFiring - Holden Vr

Vr wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon
i have a cold start problem when i drive the car when cold the car consistently backfires until it is warm. also when the car is warm and i change gear and ease off the clutch the car will backfire. Also i have recently replace the spark plugs and over the weeks since i changed them it has been getting worse. i never had a drama like this with the old spark plugs i was wondering if this had anything to do with the problem or is it just a coincidence. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the problem if they have had it before. any help would be greatful.

just for reference my ecu is a haltec - so i cant read error numbers.

Thanks ~

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Sounds like maybe a timing issue and the unburnt fuel is causing the backfiring. I might be wrong but worth a shot. Im sure other people will be able to give you more ideas

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Did you do leads at the same time?

PJDM1980

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
as above, leads?
air filter? fuel filter? Fuel pressure reg? Leaking injector? CAS? DFI?

possible to get your hands on a stock ecu and run it for a bit and see if it logs any errors?

Vr wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon
leads are new installed same time as the spark plugs, if i put octane boaster in my fuel and the problem is still there would that rule out bad fuel. what do you mean by timing issue.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
check to make sure all the coils are firing properly.
i've had a coil intermittantly fail and when it did fire every so often I'd get a backfire, car chugged running on 4 cylinders and with a backfire it'd come to life for a second or two and back to chugging on 4 cylinders.

Does this fit with what your's is doing?

Vr wagz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr wagon
yes certainly does but ive always thought it did that because i have a stage 3 crow cam which is lumpy.

but as i said recently it has started to backfire ALOT, for example i was reversing out of my garage on a coldstart and as soon as i put my foot on the accelerator pedal it just KEPT backfiring till i took my foot off the accelerator.